mySQL n00b (gzip questions)

Forum for asking questions and discussing technical problems related to your OESM hosted server.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

mySQL n00b (gzip questions)

Postby MajorFreak » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:19 pm

hi folks! i've got a forum running over at http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB that i'm going to be updating to the 1.0.11 version of phpBB 2, after i backup everything. now, the forum is bloated and doesn't have gzip...

my first question is: "can i enable gzip on the admin panel and that's that?"

:?: :?: :?: :?:

another question i have is whether or not i can create an entirely new forum based out of my current FTP section? Will the mysterious mysql database handle that easily?
    and followup to that: what's zlib compression for php? i heard if apache has it's compression running i can't use gzip...i'm confused
bottom line: i've been afraid of enabling gzip cause i don't know if it'll hurt my forums
MajorFreak
Spammer
Spammer

Re: mySQL n00b (gzip questions)

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:50 pm

MajorFreak wrote:hi folks! i've got a forum running over at http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB that i'm going to be updating to the 1.0.11 version of phpBB 2, after i backup everything. now, the forum is bloated and doesn't have gzip...

my first question is: "can i enable gzip on the admin panel and that's that?"

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Well Muffy, I just enabled gzip compression here and it didn't splode... so the answer is yes :) However, I don't think it'll net you much in the results category. Since I'm not limiting your bandwidth, I don't see what incentive you'd have to conserve bandwidth by using the gzip functions. I think you may be misunderstanding what gzip is doing on phpbb. When you request a page, instead of sending plain text it gzips the text so the amount of data transfered is less. It's useful when you're highly restricted for monthly bandwidth quotas.

MajorFreak wrote:another question i have is whether or not i can create an entirely new forum based out of my current FTP section? Will the mysterious mysql database handle that easily?
    and followup to that: what's zlib compression for php? i heard if apache has it's compression running i can't use gzip...i'm confused
bottom line: i've been afraid of enabling gzip cause i don't know if it'll hurt my forums

Just create another directory, upload the files and run the setup php script via a web browser. Use the same connection info, however (and this is THE important part) use a DIFFERENT prefix. I believe the database naming prefix by default is phpbb_ so just make it unique, maybe phpbb2_ or phpbbnew_ you get the idea.

As for hurting your forums, if you ever kill it by some odd chance just let me know. I do a full backup on Monday mornings, then incremental eveyr morning through Sunday (followed by the next full on Monday thus renewing the cycle). So I can restore your database back to any day in the current cycle. For instance, say it's Saturday afternoon and you want to go back to Tuesday's database... no problem. As long as that new Monday full hasn't happened, I can go back up to and including the previous Monday's full.
"Proving the human condition, one idiot at a time"
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
"Diplomacy is the act of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock"
"Department of Redundancy Department"
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:03 pm

I also just installed the 2.0.11 update, everything appears to be peachy. Also, they've built-in the visual confirmation for new signups, which is outstanding! So now you can configure it so new signups must enter the alphanumerics shown in an image to successfully signup. Hopefully this will stop that Russian ass who signs up to just about every msg board known to man to attempt to artificially inflate his search engine rankings.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MajorFreak » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:28 pm

awesome!

okay, here's a question for you: If i'm having major problems doing a fullbackup of the database (ignoring the fact you do so regularly) and it's timing out alot, what can i do to "clean up" the database? I've tried deleting all avatars/smilies plus i've purged my forums a great deal at russian brides
MajorFreak
Homeworld RTS fanatic
relicnews' chief Archivist
MajorFreak
Spammer
Spammer

Postby DLinkOZ » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:07 am

What exactly are you trying to do? You could go into the admin control panel and prune things to chop off excess, but doing a backup won't clean things up. Honestly, I've never tried using the backup function.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MajorFreak » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:09 am

oh. i'd assumed that there was some sort of "defrag" option for this mysterious database.

:oops:
MajorFreak
Spammer
Spammer

Postby DLinkOZ » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:14 am

You may be able to use the phpmyadmin you've got installed to do a generic cleanup on the tables. Been years since I've used phpmyadmin, though... so don't hold me to that.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MajorFreak » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:28 am