What is the history of OESM?

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

What is the history of OESM?

Postby poacher » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:26 am

I've read some of these old threads and it appears OESM use to be some kind of a gaming clan?

btw, glad to be here. I rent the Scorched Earth server from OESM.
poacher
noobeh
noobeh

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:10 am

It started in 99 as a clan, founded by myself and my brother-in-law (known around here as Cortex). We grew, got members, and played until late 2000 when it was decided that we weren't enjoying things as much as we did in the past so we called it quits. I kept the name, as it had recognition, and started renting servers since we already had a colocated machine for our clan's server. Things grew, but I've tried to keep them at a managable size (which is why I don't advertise, I like the smaller family of clans I'm hosting).
"Proving the human condition, one idiot at a time"
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
"Diplomacy is the act of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock"
"Department of Redundancy Department"
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby poacher » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:01 pm

That's cool and I agree, smaller is better with a lot fewer headaches!

If any of you play tfc feel free to stop by. We got some good folks that play on the server. Most of us are up in age a bit and very laid back.
poacher
noobeh
noobeh

Postby Setzer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:38 pm

Cortex?!?!?! He was RoughNeck4you back then if I remember correctly :P! And I was using Setzer back when you and I first played Rock2 and you asked me to join. Man, those days RULED.
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Postby Axiom » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:10 pm

if I could only cycle through the names I have had...

Helloonasty
Mr. Oblivion
/dev/null
Axiom

sheesh...serious personality issues there.
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:13 pm

I've had... one. Same name since the first time I needed to make a name for an online game (Monster Truck Madness). I've used aliases, like Bob and Trigger_Hurt, but just for brief times (like a day or two).
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Axiom » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:40 pm

funny dave
my Neocron char is nammed Trigger Hurt
least the game is finally getting better. Hopefully, they will add the high lvl content we've been bitching to get for almost 6 months now. Sadly, they are turning it into a campfest where you sit in one place for hours killing the same mob to get the uber loot...
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:45 pm

You forgot one, Axiom. "Plague." :P

I stopped my two online game ventures for a bit. I managed to get Bethesda to release some sources to Daggerfall, and I am writing a Win32 OpenGL engine so people can experience the best CRPG of all time. But let me tell you, byte-alignments in DOS and Windows hate eachother! Oh well, guess I gotta' work at this...
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:42 am

Setzer wrote:You forgot one, Axiom. "Plague." :P

I stopped my two online game ventures for a bit. I managed to get Bethesda to release some sources to Daggerfall, and I am writing a Win32 OpenGL engine so people can experience the best CRPG of all time. But let me tell you, byte-alignments in DOS and Windows hate eachother! Oh well, guess I gotta' work at this...

CRPG

Craptacular role playing game?
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:50 am

Computer Role-Playing Game. Don't make me come over there. You wouldn't like me if I came over there. I'll bring my cat...
Setzer

Postby [OESM]Cortex » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:55 pm

Can I just say that as a co-founding member of OESM I remember how much fun it was in the beginning and how badly it sucked after TF 1.5. These days though I can hardly find a game that I played like that in any genre by any development group. I began playing that game right after dave introduced me to it on a P266 with a Matrox (so old I cant remember) video card and about 32mb of RAM if that. Funny how that machine never hiccuped during that game like my 1000 times better machine does now during supposedly far superior games. I digress. The old days were fun watching everyone else kick ass while I always got my ass kicked. I think the guys kept me around just to help slow down the infiltration rate wherever I was posted. The whole eye-hand coordination thing was a bitch for me for some reason with one exception. With a sniper rifle pre TF 1.5 I was your worst enemy. That was about the only thing I did well until they fucked the whole thing up and made it so that any newborn child could snipe with deadly accuracy. There is only one thing I have to say about that......FUCKING NAZI'S!

That last phrase is for you Dave.
"Dyin ain't much of a livin..."
"I will take everything I see here and if necessary I will buy that head."
"Life is just a 75 year protracted episode of getting hit in the balls with one thing or another"
"I like to use my friends as social meat shields"
"Well we're safe for now, we're in a bowling alley."
[OESM]Cortex
Smoker of boxes, crasher of OS's
Smoker of boxes, crasher of OS's

Postby Setzer » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:31 pm

I agree with you there Cortex. However I have the lag-compensation set at 40ms or less. Now nobody gets covered unless you're LAN-side. I hate that new net-code they tried ripping from another engine in which i won't mention to start a flame war. I miss playing with you guys on that night map where you could get into that HUGE cannon and shoot others. I remember playing that on 33.6k at 32000 baud, and lagging like hell. Dave gave me my first 56k modem, which si right by this shiny new P4, even though it's not in use. I too must say, that even in my prior Q2 clan, I have NEVER played a game as much as TFC back then. Not even U.T. Inf286, yes, but nothing else. TFC has got to be one of the best gaes of all time, while TF1.5 is one of the worst.

By the way Cortex, if you ever feel like playing on a server with old-style setup, PM e for rcon. I have a file you can exec to turn off lag-comp completly and make it as close to TFC as possible. I'd love to play with you, DLink, Ghoda, and the others again. Well, maybe not Squiggy... :D!
Setzer

Postby NyteSnyper` » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:23 am

I'm an oldie that's down for some of the old time stuff!!!

Been a while, but I'm all for guarding the button on Openfire with Ozzy...

As long as the stories about what me and him did in the button room, while everyone else was defending, dont get out that is... :D
NyteSnyper`
noobeh
noobeh

Postby Setzer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:53 am

Was OpenFire the map at night with like, three or four buildings and that human-controllable cannon? Crossfire (Crossover?) is the one with the air-strike button, unless I am mistaken. I want to put the map with the cannon on my server. It's where DLink showed me a lot, and where I was forced into honing skills on 33.6k. Also the map where DLink offered to send me a 56k modem, haha!
Setzer

Postby NyteSnyper` » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:52 am

Nahh, Openfire was another 2fort style map, but you had to disable the security before you could get the flag (kinda like shutdown)... but, I know the map you speak of also, I think it is crossfire, or something like that, I remember when it used to play all the time because everyone would vote for it.... and it would basically be TFC_DM... sadly that's what TFC turned into... but, oh well...
NyteSnyper`
noobeh
noobeh

Next

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum