Unreal II

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Unreal II

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:09 pm

Played this a few days ago. Now, I'm open minded... wanted to give it a shot. Any modern FPS should at LEAST have multiplayer... plus it's just not a huge leap from other games, and that's what it'll take to put one title over the top. Snoozer.
"Proving the human condition, one idiot at a time"
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
"Diplomacy is the act of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock"
"Department of Redundancy Department"
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FeLiX » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:13 pm

hmmm if DLinks playing it I might have to check it out.
FeLiX
purple nurple
purple nurple

Postby DLinkOZ » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:34 am

Me? It's already uninstalled.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:41 pm

Why am I not surprised?
"Peace means reloading your guns"
"The only way to secure peace is to prepare for war"
"F#@K Peace, MAKE WAR!!!"
"If God was condemned to live the life he has inflicted on men, then he would kill himself."
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby FeLiX » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:27 pm

lol i was going to say the same thing
FeLiX
purple nurple
purple nurple

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:10 pm

Here's something that might interest you...

I recieved 40 copies of Unreal 2 today, and only sold 2...

Now... that might not seem like alot... but on ANY day that a major Software title is released (i.e. Diablo 2, Warcraft 3, Everquest: Retarded ass monkey of power, Medal of Honor) we litterally sell out in hours... NO one is buying this game...

In fact...I had more people look at that game and buy somethign else, MUCH older, than I thought possible...

I guess the good news is that B 1942 Expansion, RTCW, and HL's sales are now going through the roof...all because Unreal 2 came out... hehe

Who didn't see that comming?
"If God was condemned to live the life he has inflicted on men, then he would kill himself."
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby Setzer » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:07 am

Odd, only best-buy kept magical copies. Walmart and Target sold out (as well as the BF stuff). And don't try that BS "we got four times the copies anybody else got" because that's BS. I got my copy today and it is ten times better than the beta I've been testing.

U2 DOES have multiplayer, which you would KNOW if you knew how to tweak the Unreal Engine and saw (unless you are blind) the lines dealing with the IP driver. Granted, it isn't complete but it does work. You can get a small sample of this in a kind of "botmatch" if you do the training (unless they stripped it from the release version). Oh, and UT2K3 is the multiplayer aspect of the Unreal Engine now. Why bother completing it on U2? The only possible good thing would be a coop mode, which would be hard to do based on how the game operates with missions and different outcomes. Besides, if you want to use a model from U2 to dm or something, just copy it into UT2K3!

On a final note, the last warezed version released (unless a new version has come into play since the release of the game) is FAR from complete. If you tested that copy, I suggest going down to Walmart or Best Buy and buying a copy. Me, I have to email Epic and thank them for my copy :D! Oh, and Doom3 DM is great, but sucks when it drops every two minutes.
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:27 am

Nope, this was full retail. If there's multiplayer, they damn well need to make it obvious, cause the average joe is NOT going to go tweaking stuff just to get it to work (much less know you have to tweak stuff).
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:21 pm

And don't try that BS "we got four times the copies anybody else got" because that's BS.

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves...

Ps2 Release:
CC got 12, Comp got 10, we got 130
XBOX release:
CC got 20, Comp got 15, we got 152
GameCube:
CC got 20, Comp got 15, we got 132

Software:
Warcraft 3:
CC got 24, Comp got 30, we got 330
B 1942 original:
cc got 10, Comp got 20, we got 50
B 1942 Expansion:
CC got 12, comp got 15, we got 40

the numbers are virtually the same ACROSS the board...
BB always gets more copies of ANY THING because we can afford to.. our buyers buy more from the vendors because we have more pull

so it's NOT BS what I was saying... Best buy DOES get more product in... but interesting you would bring this arguement into these forums... and not make the arguement directly to me
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby Setzer » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:57 pm

Let me try to rephrase this. It doesn't really matter how many copies you got. I still don't see Best Buy magically ordering three times as many copies and not moving them, but hey, maybe the higher-ups at the company can't think straight (no offense intended here).

The point is this. Other stores moved that $hit FAST. Only Best Buy magically sold two copies. I should be able to leave it at that.
Setzer

Postby Setzer » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:27 pm

Forgot to mention. DLink, MP was never completed in this version of the engine. They wanted to concentrate on the vast SP experience, like in the "Elder Scrolls" series. If you remember, after Arena and Daggerfall became such big hits and MP was requested, they had to make a new version of the engine so players could DM with eachother, and released it as Battlespire (may be wrong about the name).

That is what UT2K3 is for U2. U2 is a vast SP experience. You want to DM using the engine and/or maps, go to UT2K3, which is centered totally on MP aspects. You can easily import your U2 maps to UT2K3 since they're the SAME engine. If you want to test MP in U2, you'll have to copy a few driver files from 2K3 and modify your U2 ini to allow for it. It is hidden and as far as I know won't be made an "option" because it was never finished and I am quite sure they won't support an incomplete project.
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:28 pm

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/

Show me Unreal II. Hell, even the old demos for bf1942 and ut2k3 still show up... Those, son, are factual numbers.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:01 am

Dude, read my post. It was NEVER finished and is not supported. You have to physically modify the ini files and then copy voer the driver files from 2K3. You also have to modify or hack a .U file or two. The engine HAS netcode, but is unreferenced. How will people play a MP game that requires so much just to get shitty-ass unfinished stuff to work? Face it, U2 is like Morrowind, too damn advanced in the SP aspect to bother with MP.

Oh and the link cannot be found.
Setzer

Postby Setzer » Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:09 am

Ah there it goes. Only took a billion clicks to work. Laggy-ass gayspy. Now, gamespy does not display every server. Games still support Heat.net, MPlayer, WON, etc etc. Gamespy is just one service. I don't see RRT2 up there, but you log into RRT2 and you can find a game or start one with players EASILY. You are relying on one service for factual stats. What the failure here is that those are factual stats ONLY for games reporting to Gamespy and not some other service, or ones kept private for other reasons. Also, are those just NA servers? What about EU?? UnF doesn't have a very big NA population, yet the population in UnF is well above that of *daddy's penis*. Thing is, most players are EU. Even so, I get guys on my box with pings around 100ms regularly, but that's beside the point.

One final note. Many mods don't report to Gamespy at ALL. *daddy's penis* reports to an *daddy's penis* master server, not Gamespy. You can find this out in the Infiltration.ini file under the master server address key. I am not sure if UnF reports to Gamespy or not, nor do I care to look. Check out information on multiple services before posting. And on top of that, check into the custom game server lists as well, or you'll NEVER generate a real report.
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:41 am

Actually, I've been installing MANY new games for new clients lately, and everyone of them so far has gamespy listed by default.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next