2.4.18 Kernel

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:28 am

I see job postings by the dozens where I work looking for code monkeys...
"Proving the human condition, one idiot at a time"
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
"Diplomacy is the act of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock"
"Department of Redundancy Department"
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:59 am

Then why is it that Nortel keeps laying off so many people? I called Nortel out here and they said that they weren't hiring and were in fact laying people off. D that is just like the trucking industry! They're all like "We're 50,000 drivers short nationwide!!", but when you try to apply you get "Well you need at least two years of over the road experience before you can get hired driving over the road." Is it just me or does ANYBODY else see the loop there? How do you get OTR experience if nobody will hire you OTR? What you're telling me, and what Nortel told me are very similar. They'll post want-ads and then say they're laying off people.

Anyways, what about those two advantages? Debian uses only Linux libraries and has none of it's own custom libs that would cause a program not to function on another distro. And what about up2date versus apt-get? Like I said, apt-get can go online and update your stuff also, but it can downlaod and install new software you never had as well. Does up2date do that yet?
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:20 pm

Seph, I haven't worked at Nortel for nearly 2 years... well, a bit over a year and a half anyway.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:59 pm

Never saw a post or heard you say anything about leaving. Did they wind up cutting you also, or did you quit before they had the chance?
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:31 pm

My entire dept was transfered to CSC. They went 2 levels up from me, and everyone down from there.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:44 am

Dang, didn't know it. I'm going to go waste my time now and email Bethesda. Since Arena and Daggerfall way back in the 486SX days I wanted to code on TES series with them. Morrowind is a SERIOUS let-down, but I still love the first two to death. I mean, I just got done playign for four hours straight, and it is almost 3am here! I can't stop going through and beating it. The game is different every time, and with the ability to make your own custom classes, your class possibilities are unlimited. I'm trying to make my game this way, but it'll never reach a market if I work on it alone.
Setzer

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:29 pm

Sorry, guys, haven't been able to post for some time, but I did notice a few things inwhich I had to make statements...

The comment seph made to me about using linux...

Seph, i can use linux...I have used command based OS's before, but I like the EASE of A GUI. As for linux specifically, Personally I would use linux if not for the simple fact that 99% of the software titles I own, and wish to own in the near future are not ported to linux. Also, I do not choose to run a server, FTP or mail server, and thus it's power is not needed for my personal useage.

Also, Seph...you could out program bill gates? I don't think so... I've seen your programs first hand.. granted you have promise, but they are nothing spectacular...I have not seen one program of yours that is out there that "everyone is talking about"

Not trying to bash you, but I hear you say "I've worked on this", or "I that's my code in that program" But I've looked at the "about" section listing the authors...I didn't see your name...

You MIGHT want to talk them about including your name...

Nme, not alias...

Also, the 2 years Experience...that's to ensure that you are a safe driver...WITH a SAFE driving record... your personal driving record has no bearing (unless it's extremely negative) on if you get hired. Because most people don't driver for 8-12 hours a day...

Not trying to bash you, but these are points you might have missed...plus you shouldn't assume i don't know something...and don't put words in my mouth.
"Peace means reloading your guns"
"The only way to secure peace is to prepare for war"
"F#@K Peace, MAKE WAR!!!"
"If God was condemned to live the life he has inflicted on men, then he would kill himself."
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby Setzer » Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:24 pm

You're bass-ackwards on the driving deal. Let me know when you've comlpleted two seperate federal safety courses using a 53' trailer with no spotters. The two years is to make sure you know enough of America as to not get lost on your first trip out. Fucking higher-ups never heard of "maps" though...

As for Linux, past a login, I doubt you'd know jack. There are no dir, del, deltree, mem, or other such commands. The simplest shit like that is totally different. Oh and say goodbye to extensions on applications. You have to know modes.

Bill Gates is a thief and a hack. Had he not stolen Windows3.x from Apple, the computer industry would NOT be headed up by PCs, or at least not by MS. And granted, I don't have the most advanced shit yet, but guess what, I am ONE person. I started my 3D engine over three times now for optimizations. As it stands, The work I have done, which includes everything Unreal, RtCW, or any other modern game consists of, minus collision-detection, has only taken me about two months. If I had the math knowledge I'd finish the thign with collision-detection. Oh wow, I've made a DAMN-close Unreal/RtCW/Q3 Engine clone in two months by myself. Yeah, I guess I am God because it takes "companies" years to do the same shit. Oh wait I also don't have AI coded yet, but that's simple, especially if one uses path-nodes and the AI doesn't have to physically generate them as it goes. My shit right now is industry-standard, minus the two mentioned areas. If I had the math I'd do the collisions and I could just map for the next month and release the fucker.

As for other applications, I've coded on a TON of other programs that have and have not mentioned my name. I don't code on projects like hacks where everybody who sneezed on the motherfucker has to put their name on it. I coded on early versions of several emulators as a learning experience, I've worked on a few audio apps, and I've done a few graphical apps. My name/nick is mentioned in some, and it isn't in the others. If you download the first couple versions of Legacy you'll see my old nick mentioned. Do your homework before posting. Saying that seems to be an every-week thing here.
Setzer

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:40 pm

Never said I was any good with Linux, but I do know some basics... enough to get around, and get myself in trouble...MY point is that you ASSUME no one knows as much as you, that you are smarter than EVERYONE...NOT true...

DON'T ASSUME I DON'T KNOW SOMETHING...

AND DON'T ASSUME YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME...
"Peace means reloading your guns"
"The only way to secure peace is to prepare for war"
"F#@K Peace, MAKE WAR!!!"
"If God was condemned to live the life he has inflicted on men, then he would kill himself."
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby Setzer » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:37 pm

Well in most cases I canback my shit up, unless it's brute force, in which case I prefer a sharp blade and finess, or a large projectile weapon. You have me beat in HTML easily, as well as any other web-language. However, I write the shit that makes that stuff even consider working. I even had a full-featured text->html converter/editor in QB way back when the best connection you could get was from a 14.4k modem. So no, I don't assume. About all you could do (and be quite honest here) on Linux without X-Win, would be login, change directories if you knew what directories there were and where, possibly make a new directory, and logout. You may also know how to list directories and files, but I'd be surprised if you knew how to tell what was an executable file, how to change file modes, how to start an app in the background, how to start or stop system services, or most anything else.
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:40 pm

In a little bit I'm making a "Pissing contest/Dick measuring" forum. Any thread that degrades into such (ie. Seph posts!) will get moved there. It's getting old.

*edit*
Also, if the thread is legit and should stay where it is, I'll just delete the offending post.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:01 am

Look at how it started DLink. I said nothing offensive, yet somebody HAD to comment in areas they had little or no knowledge. I shouldn't have replied but I have had a FUCKING bad night posted. Yes I am still pissed and I will be for a while.
Setzer

Postby Mr.Magoo » Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:16 am

Setzer wrote:Look at how it started DLink. I said nothing offensive, yet somebody HAD to comment in areas they had little or no knowledge.

Hmmm... Detective Magoo to the rescue!

[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS wrote:Seph's just trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about again...

DLinkOZ wrote:I know, and it's very obvious in this thread. ... Stop talking out of your ass Seph...

A winna is you.
I just bought this game yesterday.
Mr.Magoo

Postby Setzer » Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:55 am

Uhm, you're reinforcing what I said Magoo, that I didn't say jack at first...
Setzer

Postby Mr.Magoo » Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:20 pm

? Most of those things were said about you before I even posted.
I just bought this game yesterday.
Mr.Magoo

PreviousNext

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum