2.4.18 Kernel

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

2.4.18 Kernel

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:35 pm

I upgraded my boxes from 2.4.9-34 to 2.4.18 Friday. The single processor machines seem to like it. Dual processor boxes... ACK!! Keep in mind I did this late Friday, and see if you notice a change in cpu usage...

http://www.oesm.org/network/oesm4/tfc41.oesm.org.html
"Proving the human condition, one idiot at a time"
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
"Diplomacy is the act of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock"
"Department of Redundancy Department"
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:51 pm

I think it's RedHat D. RedHat is trying to push Linux onto the home-user market and is basically ruining Linux. Long live the Lord of Linux, Slackware! Debian is OK too, but f*ck Mandrake :P!
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:21 pm

How can you say that when I strip out all the things redhat adds to it, then use my own kernel? At that point it's no different than any other linux. The only key difference between the distros (once you cleanup the messy ones) is package management. I run the exact same kernel as other distros, exact same packages, etc.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:09 pm

Seph's just trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about again... :twisted:

Pay him no heed... :D
"Peace means reloading your guns"
"The only way to secure peace is to prepare for war"
"F#@K Peace, MAKE WAR!!!"
"If God was condemned to live the life he has inflicted on men, then he would kill himself."
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:33 pm

I know, and it's very obvious in this thread. Just some uninformed RedHat bashing.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Magoo » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:07 am

You forget Dave, that he seems to know everything about everything. You might as well uninstall RedHat and let him code a super 1337 os or something.
I just bought this game yesterday.
Mr.Magoo

Postby Setzer » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:11 pm

This coming from a person who prefers to act like a twelve-year-old? HAHA! Magoo, grow up.

DLink, the kernel may be custom, but you're not using core Linux stuff. Check out Debian. Last time I saw Deb (several years ago) it sucked balls, but after doing some checking and talking to major web-hosters (several via Trillian), I check it out last night. Debian is hands-down the new Linux king. I love Slack, but it can't touch this shit. Seems my boxes will soon be running true Linux via Debian. I bet if you run a single box with Debian setup the same way you run a RH box, you will notice a major difference. Once my new gaming box arrives (already ordered) I am switching around some hardware and removing RH completely. It'll be replaced with Debian. I mean come on, every other distro wants you to PAY for their shit (if not in using the OS, in recieving help or through other means). RedHat is the worst of the lot by becoming the MS of Linux. You can't deny that. However, RH has a nice feature that I have ONLY seen in Debian. You can isntall via network or other remote location. Slack and Man don't offer that (yet). And yes, I stayed up until 2am last night researchign this shit and weighing pros and cons. I suggest you check the link below if you doubt me.

Frost, when you figure out how to so much as login in Linux, we'll talk. Let the big-boys talk now.

http://linuxwatch.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=7
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:19 pm

Stop talking out of your ass Seph. I have, indeed, run OESM servers in the past on Debian. Wtf are you talking about, core programs? Package management (apt-get vs up2date) is the only difference. All the programs that get installed are NOT made by either Redhat or Debian. They're made by 3rd parties and included on the distros. So what you're telling me is that the 3rd party software developers have it out for RH and send them DIFFERENT versions of their software? Nope, don't think so. And if you say Debian's is newer, well that's why you keep your packages updated!
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Magoo » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:25 pm

New SephirothOS 2.0!

Now with OpenShitHead!
Mr.Magoo

Postby Setzer » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:50 pm

Let me put it this way. After researching the matter and now an actual stress-test (on my *daddy's penis* box) it is performing MUCH better than RH was. Yes, damn-near everything is still cached in memory, and yes, the programs themselves are the same. I never said the programs were different. The point I am trying to make is that Debian is using resources a shitload more efficiently than RH was. I have even upped my player count by two and the server performs as good as if not better than before. As far as the details go, I'll let my friend Rubin talk with you about those. He runs Linux on everything except his laptop, runs an IRC server, runs a web-server, and a ton of other Linux-related bs. He's a real Linux-guru, and also recomends Debian, unless you're too weak to grasp Linux on your own and need popup help or a GUI for everything, which RH offers.

I am witnessing the proof on my Linux box. The details or specifics as to why, I cannot say. All I know is that I can do more on the same system with Debian. I never said down with RH, although since way back in the day I always said I disliked RH. Only reason I ran it is because I got a copy for free.

Magoo, you're like some kind of tiny insect to me. Let's see you code your way off the john without Visual <insert language name>. Didn't think so. Enjoy the smell.
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:06 pm

You didn't optimize your redhat. I just sat through a week long debate on this very subject (as did Magoo), between people much smarter than any of us, and there's not a damn thing to tell them apart other than some are more easily optimized than others. Let it go.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Magoo » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:21 pm

I never said anything about my ability to code so much as a paper bag...

You on the other hand, brag up and down about your incredible programming skills that have landed you a job at the prestigious tech institution of Taco Bell. Have you found a way to fix the hot sauce memory allocation errors yet?
Mr.Magoo

Postby Setzer » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:20 pm

One again, babble from somebody who has no clue what he is talking about. I could make Bill Gates look stupid in coding, but unless I have have a certification or two, not even God can get me a job in this day and time. I suggest you research your information before making yourself look incredibly stupid, as you have just done. I don't have enough money OR time for college right now, so my certifications and skills will have to wait.
Setzer

Postby Mr.Magoo » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:57 pm

Oh, and I would hope you can "out-code" Bill Gates. He's a goddamn business man, whom probably hasn't coded anything for years.
Mr.Magoo

Postby Setzer » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:24 pm

Actually Gates is a legal hacker. He did steal Windows from Apple way back in the day. He got it out before Apple did so he got the copyrights and shit. And just so you know, yes, back when I was in my junior and senior years in HS, you COULD get a job if you knew ANYTHING about a computer. Now the market is flooded thanks to these idiotic Visual programing tools, two-week learn at home courses, and other such bs. I have met a couple programmers who didn't know half what I did, and I actually showed THEM how to use commands more efficiently. So no, you can't say "Hey, I programmed the Quake 10 engine!" and expect a job now. Trust me, I have tried. Hell I have had people (employers at prospect companies) tell me that they loved what I had done, and were amazed that I did the shit in Notepad/Wordpad and not used soem Visual application, but refused to hire me due to the fact that I don't have certifications saying so. Hell I could get a certification saying I can shit on command and get a job paying $50k a year! It's total BS now. So YOU need to stop living in your fantasy world and wake up to reality. I've been out in the world longer and know better.

DLink, Debian does have some obvious advantages over any other distro, which I will now point out. I think you will agree with these two 100%. First is that Debian has no proprietary library files of any kind, so shit programmed in Deb works on any distro. If you program something on RH or Man, it probably won't work without porting to the other distros. The other thing isn't major, but useful. apt-get not only keeps you updated, it can also grab and install applications you don't even have! last time I checked, up2date could NOT do that. Correct me if I am wrong there.
Setzer

Next

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum