full DNS hosting

Forum for asking questions and discussing technical problems related to your OESM hosted server.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

full DNS hosting

Postby ScdlT » Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:21 pm

I dunno if thats the right name but do you guys support havign a domain for an IP?! like I i had a website server.com could I get a server ip at sev1.server.com?! If not, perhaps you guys should look into this.
ScdlT
noobeh
noobeh

full DNS hosting

Postby DLinkOZ » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:35 pm

Yes, we have 2 complete and seperate dns servers (backup in case the primary fails). If you mean something like we do:

www.oesm.org resolves to 216.172.27.50

But we host virtual servers on our web/mysql box. So not only does www.oesm.org resolve, but all of our hosted sites do as well, such as oec.oesm.org or antistatik.oesm.org. The webserver is also setup to read the header and tell what site it intended, and serves the browser content from said site. It's pretty remedial stuff for running a webserver.

Of course, we can do that for any domain we host in our dns servers. Also MX (mailserver) records, other things besides webservers such as firewall1.oesm.org points here at my home DSL's firewall, etc.

If I just rambled and didn't answer your question, let me know... I tend to do that sometimes.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support / Technical Q and A