Server specs?

Forum for asking questions and discussing technical problems related to your OESM hosted server.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Server specs?

Postby Boochman71 » Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:06 am

I'm just curious about the specs of this server:

<|NCM|> BeardeD ClamZ (.)_(.) | OESM27@Dallas|79ms|216.185.105.16:27015

My brother and I are renting it and are just wonder what cpu, ram, etc and also what type of connection it has?

Thanks
<|NCM|> Boochman
Boochman71
noobeh
noobeh

Server specs?

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:52 am

Dual 1ghz PIII, 1gb ram. Connection is 100mb up and down.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server specs?

Postby Mr.Magoo » Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:14 am

We call that 100Mbps SYMMETRICAL where I come from.
Mr.Magoo

Server specs?

Postby Mr.Magoo » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:22 pm

It's not golf, dave. Lowest post count DOESN't win!

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Mr.Magoo

Server specs?

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:54 am

Yes, but in the grand scheme of keeping things simple (not necessarily for boochman, I don't know his level of technical expertise, but for the general population) since you never know if the person you're talking to will understand or not. It's just easier for me to be plain and non technical up front than to have to come in and explain it again if by some chance the person who asked didn't understand the answer.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server specs?

Postby Boochman71 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:08 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. One more question. Since it's a dual processor server does that mean you run 2 game servers off this box or is it just one?
Boochman71
noobeh
noobeh

Server specs?

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:32 pm

Each box will run more than one game server. There's no way to even think about breaking even money-wise with one game server per box. None of our boxes uses more than 50% of it's ram, ever. And very rarely will one use even 50% of it's cpu cycles. Basically, if it's larger 16 or 18 player servers, not nearly as many can fit on a box compared to small 10 player servers. So it's always a judgement call based on cpu monitoring (all boxes graph bandwidth and cpu usage constantly all day every day so we can address any system resource problems).
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server specs?

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:37 pm

One thing to add to that, between 4am and 6am CST we have our maintanence scripts running. I believe this only lasts for approximately 15-20 minutes. During that time (we have them run at such an odd hour since that's when there's the fewest people playing) things may get dicey since they can be cpu intensive. But it's a trade-off... would you rather have 15 minutes of extreme cpu usage at 5 in the morning, or lose your entire server's contents (maps, configs, etc) should we experience a hardware failure? As it stands, we create backups every morning, and on Sundays and Thursdays those backups are ftp'd to different servers. With this setup, there's minimal interference to the players, but a very acceptable level of disaster recovery.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support / Technical Q and A