HLTV Proxies

Forum for asking questions and discussing technical problems related to your OESM hosted server.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

HLTV Proxies

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:21 am

Ok, here's where I'm at. I've got a machine, would like to run an HLTV proxy for each clan on it. Max would be 2 people (be realistic, at 2 people times a dozen clans, that's over 1mb/sec). I can load em up, they'll connect, no problem. The issue is maps. I won't lie, I can't keep up with all the maps on all 30 servers and make sure they're all on the proxy server too, just not going to happen. Also, I can run all these proxy serves on the individual boxes, I would hate to put the production servers with paying clans under that sort of untested strain. So if anyone's got any ideas on how to make this easy, I'm all ears.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

HLTV Proxies

Postby FUBAR the Freak » Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:59 pm

That is a good idea. HLTV is becoming extremely popular and useful. Even a lot of gaming leagues are requiring them; OGL for example. They really add a whole new level to gaming and strategy/setup.
FUBAR the Freak
Spammer
Spammer

HLTV Proxies

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:34 pm

If there's a good, sound way to have a single unused box host it for everyone (there's an easy way, but it's far from reliable) then I'm all for it. So if people really want this, help me brainstorm [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

HLTV Proxies

Postby FUBAR the Freak » Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:20 pm

Hmm... well you know I'm not exactly the brightest here when it comes to programming and server issues etc etc. Maybe seph or one of them will post some ideas if they ever look on this post.

As for the maps, don't you guys have a method of contacting each owned of the server. By doing so you can send an email request of a zip file containing all "abnormal" maps. It may take some time going through all the maps and remembering which ones you have... or just copy over them all. If some clans do not own servers, spread the word around the best you can. GoW I know for sure has a TON of maps that I have never heard of until now, but other clan servers such as EA (DS) have only the standard maps and may not care to participate in the first place.

As for running HTLV, most people would use it Friday - Sunday, otherwise you would not have to worry about strain... if people used them at different intervals during the entire week it would be fantastic.

You may have done all the math, but a question: how many HTLVs would you be providing for.
TFC?
CS?
*seph's a fag*?
DOD?
Q3?
I'm not sure what all games you host, but it sure does sound like a lot.
FUBAR the Freak
Spammer
Spammer

HLTV Proxies

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:12 pm

It would just be for OESM customers. And good god... most clans have a few hundred megs worth of maps on their servers. Multiply that by about 20 customers... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *gasp* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *weez* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *pant* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *cough* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *hack* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

HLTV Proxies

Postby FUBAR the Freak » Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:46 pm

LoL, I guess you are right...

I do not know man, that is pretty tough. You could regulate the maps; say pick the most popular and only take those. Of course some of the clans on your servers may be affiliated with leagues like OGL - may be different maps allowed there as well.

Hrm... well you could go standard maps, then pick a few of the most popular other ones and use them. Then, just go by individual requests. If there are enough requests for a map, you will get it for them. It would take some time and good "Customer Service" but... hell that is all I can think of for now.
FUBAR the Freak
Spammer
Spammer

Return to Technical Support / Technical Q and A