Bandwidth Cap...

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Bandwidth Cap...

Postby Setzer » Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:09 pm

Hey don't waste your energy DLink! I'll go out there with my rifles just to be able to shoot somebody! God that would be fun!!
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Bandwidth Cap...

Postby Setzer » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:08 pm

Hey if HLG is sucking so many cycles then it may be the cause of poor-coding. I made a minor data-flow leak in one of my apps once and it would run for about five minutes then use 100% of the CPU and crash, or reboot my box. I wouldn't worry about it much. Unless Valve decides to take over HLG coding it'll probably be fixed in the next patch.

Forgot to ask, what processor speeds are you running that HLG can suck cycles so badly? I thought you had P4's or AMD 1ghz+ machines?

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Setzer ]</p>
Setzer

Bandwidth Cap...

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:33 pm

It's sucking so many cycles cause it's trying to do so much on it's own. All that equals processing power.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bandwidth Cap...

Postby Setzer » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:15 pm

Right, I understand that. The app I was talking about in my previous post was my MUD in an early stage of development. It kept spawning a new copy of itself each time somebody connected, rather than spawning a new segement of memory for that player's data. So every time we tried testing we got in, didn't see eachother because technically we were on different MUDs, and then it crashed. This was on a P200 with 128mb SDRAM. I still wanna' know what your specs are [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !
Setzer

Bandwidth Cap...

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:37 pm

Didn't see your question about processors. A PIII 1ghz can outrun a P4 1.7ghz by 50% in the hlds_l realm. But I've got servers running on an AMD XP 2100+ without the new HLGuard that take maybe 10-15% full with 18 players. After putting on HLGuard, they can go as high as 50-60%. That's not reasonable.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bandwidth Cap...

Postby Setzer » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:37 pm

Lol! Not even "The Awekening" should take that much, and we're talking trillions of polys at any given time! That's insanity man!
Setzer

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum