*seph's a fag* Dlink?

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

*seph's a fag* Dlink?

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:45 pm

I wouldn't even reply to his, but lately they all seem to be insulting to me (such as the commoners comment, telling me to THINK, etc).
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

*seph's a fag* Dlink?

Postby Setzer » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:47 pm

DLink, I've not tried insulting you at all. I have ONLY directly insulted one person here, and that was Nasty, which I appologized for since I posted right after work and was tired and angry when I did post. Yeah I was a bit crude with the comment on trying to compare processors in Linux/Unix, and I'm sorry if you took it as an insult, but you should know that Linux/Unix support virtually any processor, and used to (still has?) support Cyrix processors to the point that even they ran worth a crap in the OS. If it can make Cyrix look good, it could make a piece of crap jammed into your socket look decent.
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

*seph's a fag* Dlink?

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:45 pm

Straight out of the box, I'd say the stock linux kernel would be Intel biased (since there are specific "AMD" tweaks for rolling your own kernel). But even with a stock kernel, PIII and P4 systems can't hold a candle to an AMD XP in Linux. As for windows, can't say. I'm all AMD here at home except for the laptop and wife's machine. Laptop is a lowly PIII 500 and her pc is a dual PIII 733, so it's not quite appropriate to gauge against my tbird boxes of extremely differing clock speed.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

*seph's a fag* Dlink?

Postby Setzer » Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:16 pm

Well the P4's still outdo them in Win from my personal experience. This is WITHOUT tweaking systems. You know, a basic setup and go config. However I AM debating going AMD for my next Linux server so i can run more DSes from the same box due to the AMD's ability to crunch like, twice as much data than an Intel.

Oh and one thing you still have to take into consideration is the FPU flaw in the P4's. It runs at HALF speed, which cuts everything else WAY the heck down. So a P4/2.53ghz is REALLY a P4/5ghz being choked to death because Intel was a bitch and rushed to release the P4, and screwed up the FPU in the process. I have known about this flaw since the P4/1ghz processor. I think it would be AWESOME to manually be able to fix the FPU at home. Could you imagine 5ghz when the next-fastest is a 2.53?! I can purchase a 2.7ghz P4 now, but it'll be out in the public hands soon enough.
Setzer

Previous

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum