Love!

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Love!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:47 am

Lol! See DLink? 174ms is 56k ping for ol' Stick! 56k ping in HL is like 200-300 depending on how well you tweaked Windoze and HL.

Stick, it's on 1.5mbps down/512kbps up. I've got the server tweaked for 56k and cable speeds right now because that is mostly what I get. I do have a few DSL users that join though. Oh and one thing, don't go by the net browser ping!!!! That ping is insane when compared to in-game. Join the box and watch your ping. Hell I ping 104ms avg in my net-browser and I am about 6-8ft from the server, yet in-game I get between 5 and 20ms. I estimate your ping to be 80-110ms actually in-game. Try it and see man! Max transmission rate for net clients is 8000 and packet size is 8192 (8kb). If you wanted to tweak your con that is [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:41 pm

Seph, Stick's on cable now, has been for at least a year I think. So 174 is quite high. Most cable players would pass up on a server offering a 174 ping.

And please, in the future post every other comment in the flame board only. Since every other post is "*seph's a fag* rocks, HL blows", you know damn well it's flame bait and belongs there.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:41 am

And just to put this to rest, here's what I found tonight:

I ping one of my servers in dos, I get a 20-25ms ping.

I install a *seph's a fag* server on that box (cake, I might add)

I go into the server. In-game reports I have a 0 ping. The webadmin for *seph's a fag* says I have a 30. So YES, the in-game ping LIES! Period.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]StickGod » Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:17 am

I still LOVE YOU ALL.
[OESM]StickGod
purple nurple
purple nurple

Love!

Postby Setzer » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:11 pm

Funny DLink, I posted a reply here that mysteriously disappeared! There IS a reason for the 0ping being reported, and yeah it's UE, but not to the extent that you will have game trouble. I can make Slant (56k in Miss.) ping 0ms quite easily. Neat trick, but it pisses off people in pub.
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:22 pm

I know of no tricks. I installed it, fired up the client and connected. The built in admin web showed 30, which was probably right. But in-game it showed 0, which was false.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby Setzer » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:46 pm

That is WIERD. EVERYBODY who plays *seph's a fag* always complains about the game-browser reporting higher pings than in-game, yet yours reports the correct ping and you ping 0ms. Are you running the Linux client or have you modified something in a way that may cause the browser to show correct pings? Hell my browser shows 104ms average, and in-game I do <25ms.
Setzer

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:58 pm

Linux client... huh? Linux server, windows client.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby Codon » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:25 am

dave said the same thing u did, that the in game browser shows highly unrealistic and impossible pings.
Codon
noobeh
noobeh

Love!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:40 am

I tried to talk to speh last night about the *seph's a fag* engine, what he said still doesn't make sense...

This is the gist I got:
*seph's a fag* has a global packet size...as such, it detects the largest size that ALL players connected can DL...a DSL and Cable user could dl X size packet, but a Dial-up user could only use a Y size packet...thusly the packet size would be Y, and the DSL and Cable users would just recieve MORE packets than the Dial-up...

OK, but would that either slow the DSL and Cable users down (because they are now recieving a shit load more packets?) OR speed up the Dial-up? I mean a dun can only recieve so much data, so they'd still only recieve that much data...it's true I can see a SLIGHTLY lower ping, but cable speeds? DSL speeds?

There are only two solutions I can see a dun getting the same ping as a cable/dsl user...

1: This methiod bogs down bandwidth for broadband users...thus actually making it better to be a dial-up when playing this game, which I cannot believe ANY programmer would wish to do (and no I do not knw programming, never said I did, never will...)

or 2: The theory is there but the game is reporting false pings...which isn't a new concept...I mean, windows reports incorrect file sizes (in some instances), dl speeds are not acurate...etc. so I mean inconsistancy, and ficticious numbers are all around in the world of computers...

Seph...Setzer...whatever...not flaming, posting what was said to me, cause it STILL doesn't make sense...

regardless of how you look at it, the dun is getting less information than the dsl/cable users...either the dun is going to be lagged (not getting enough info fast enough), or the dsl/cable users are getting too much information and they are being bogged down...

dave, nasty, anyone...am I looking at it from the wrong angle? am I missing something? Am I stupid? Or are my assumptions correct?

later

P.S. I'm still not a fan of Unreal ot *seph's a fag*, I'm just curious if this shit makes sense or not...

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- ]</p>
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:50 am

Ok, take one big truck that's twice as big as the smaller trucks, or two smaller trucks that are each half the size of the big truck. The big truck carries a ton of shit but is slowed down by it. The smaller trucks carry only half as much, but travel twice as fast due to lower overhead and better efficiency. In the end, it comes out to the same thing (except that the smaller trucks, should they drop their load and have to redeliver, will only redeliver their smaller payload, while if the large trucks drops the load, it has to redeliver the entire big huge load again). Catch my drift? If anyone has evidence to the contrary, please show it.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:18 am

still a little unsure, but I think I follow...you are saying packet size wouldn't matter...right?
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Aug 16, 2002 10:50 am

I would rather have a bunch of smaller packets than a few large ones. If a small packet is dropped and has to resend, it's not as much delayed data compared to a large packet resending.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:21 am

understandable...understandable...but the point is you clearified the confusion...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Love!

Postby Setzer » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:14 pm

That is what I said Frost. Packets small enough for the shittiest client. Your con just determines how many of these you get each tick. Need to know about ticks, get the Doom sources and brush up on 'em. Thanks DLink. Oh and one thing D said that I did NOT mention. If a user has packet loss, that increases ping regardless, so the big thing is getting a connection that doesn't lose every other packet. You can monitor this with "stat net" in-game. Similar to net_graph but doesn't affect frames or latency.
Setzer

Previous

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum