Love!

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Love!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:30 pm

Wrong, the Unreal Netcode is superior, pick up a game magazine from the past two years. HL is the Q1 and Q2 engine combined and modified, and though now they've been mutated so far they're nothing like the original engines, in doing so the pings have grown. He pings around 230ms in Q2. Haven't done the DOS ping test yet, and haven't needed to. This dude is genuinly getting 190ms or less, and it shows in the way he plays. Face the facts, *seph's a fag* pings lower due to better compression of buffered data and new prediction coding that not even Valve could reproduce.

I have cable users regularly and generally they ping at a low of about 120ms and a high of about 240ms. Some ping higher (300-400) and a few have pinged sub-100, but those guys are rare. Over-all, I get players rangine from about 150ms to 250ms, which is DAMN good in my opinion.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:47 pm

Netcode is fine and dandy and how the game handles things. But you can NOT exceed the physical speed limitations of the route from a player to the server. Not going to happen. If you try to say a game can magically reduce the latency through all the routers between a player and the server, then I think it's time to take the brain in for some warranty work.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:38 pm

Seph, HOW in the hell does an average 56k player get a better ping than an average cable user?

Seph, Either you don't understand the netcode you worship...or you are lieing...

And seph...keep in mind, magazines can be, and have been wrong...not all journalist know WTF they are talking about...they are told something, and they regurgitate it for people like you, who believe EVERYTHING they are told, if it agrees with them...

Open your mind, and admit...you could be wrong...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Love!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:07 pm

See that's it, I ain't wrong. I play *daddy's penis* several times a day, both pub and in my server,a nd on my box I know what people ping. Also, I talked Slant through manual tweaking of his registry using regedit. It took 30min but helped a TON. I have been debating tweaking my registry, but at this point in time, 200mbps tweaked to the max would do no good when filtered through a 2mbps DSL line, haha! Oh and before you two reply without thinking, 200mbps is true due to 100mbps full duplex networking.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:41 pm

You put out no comment that would say you are correct. Please, address my comments. How would a game sitting on a single pc somewhere be able to magically reduce latency through the route a player would take to said pc? I ask because you seem to think that you can do such a thing. I mean, if someone pings 300ms in HL (this means he either has a shitty pc, or about a 280-290ms ping using the ping command) and 150 in a *seph's a fag* server, then by some act of technology you've just countered what every backbone provider in the world spends boat loads of cash to do, and that's reduce latency on their network. Oh yeah, and you did it by just running an application on your server... YOU SHOULD SELL THIS AND MAKE MILLIONS!
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby Axiom » Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:53 pm

judging by how shitty the game is, noone would buy it dave.
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:50 am

I've fired a variety of auto and semi-auto weapons. Bolt-action and single-shot as well. That is why I say the game feels as close as it can get to real life, because it DOES.

Stick: http://dhta.oesm.org/

DLink:
Slant is on 56k and pings about 350ms in HL. His ping maxes at around 190ms in *daddy's penis*. He averages 150-160ms unless we're on a HUGE map with a full load.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Love!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:53 am

what does a Cable user ping seph?
I doubt it's 150-160ms...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:57 am

Ping from dos. If the in-game ping shows less than that, it's incorrect and the game is lying about it. Unless your pc has icmp so low on the totem pole that it's laughable, but I seriously doubt it. Unless your machine completely blows, HL shouldn't add more than 10ms or so on top of your normal out of game ping.

If he can ping you at 150ms on dun, and gets 350 in YOUR HL server, then either his pc sucks or your HL server does. If he can't ping you as low as 150 in a dos box, then the game is flat out fibbing.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:14 am

Drop by and see for yourself. There are TWO primary reasons for the lower pings. One is that HL sends a TON more data structures than *seph's a fag*, which means bigger and/or more packets, which as you know equals a higher ping. The other is that *seph's a fag* has MUCH better TCP compression than HL. Hell like I said, I get better pings on ANY other game, including Quake II. Other reasons HL pings so high are because of the NUMEROUS "traces" it does to calculate hits/misses and collisions. This method is great in a SP game, but slows down MP more than is necesarry. This was the method I was going to use in AoY, but I am now trying to implement a *seph's a fag* method for collisions so I get more processor free, and it'll reduce latency if I decide to make a MP mode.

Oh and I thought you were moving to Brazil?
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:36 am

Seph, here's the deal. This is a HL only place. It's all we run. To come here and spout off about how much better another game is (especially when you've yet to give a link to any sort of factual data backing yourself up) is foolish. No one here likes *seph's a fag* from what I can see. Obviously, we like HL. Just agree to disagree and for the love of god stop making every other post about the superiority of *seph's a fag*. It's just flame bait and you know it (or I would hope you would know it, doesn't take a rocket scientist).
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]StickGod » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:22 pm

Ok you turned my thread about love into a flame [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]

I'm sad now.

So dave you going to come to winter cpl, you should! You can stay in my hotel room for a night if you just come to visit <3
[OESM]StickGod
purple nurple
purple nurple

Love!

Postby [OESM]StickGod » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:23 pm

Clan DHTA's Linux *daddy's penis* Server|174ms|66.21.168.46:7777

Is that server hosted on 56k?

I goto alot of *seph's a fag* events around here (only game that has money lan tournies) and i wanted to play.. except its 10:30 on a friday server is empty and my ping is 48929489824
[OESM]StickGod
purple nurple
purple nurple

Love!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:36 pm

And it's not Friday.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Love!

Postby [OESM]StickGod » Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:59 pm

ok thursday then