Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Thou Shalt See The Light...

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:49 pm

3 of my boxes chosen for this comparison:

XP 1900+
XP 2100+
P4 1.7ghz

Even the 1900+ amd processor beats the crap out of the P4 which runs (I forget exactly) either 400 or 500mhz faster than the XP 1900+. Granted, this is for a server, but I wouldn't expect things to change much if moved to desktop apps.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:02 pm

the numbers I was referring to were fictious numbers...numbers use to say, hey that's a faster processor...

or vid card...

The AMD numbers 1.6ghz are more factual (based on speed) then the pentiums...I have, from MANY sources, seen and read that the AMD's are faster... an AMD 1.7ghz, being the same as a pentium 2.1ghz... that to me states that the AMD is doing something right, or intel is fictiously using higher processing speeds...and I'm not saying intel is lieing...they probably do run 2.1 ghz, on a system that's barely running anything...but when fully loaded they bog down...

You didn't mention if those two systems you compaired were using the same OS... and you didnt' mention if the systems had the startup progs...hell XP loads faster, but if I get a shit load of programs to startup on boot, well then I'm going to have a slower start time....

ATI uses numbers, but they don't truely represent speeds...just models... and right now the ATI radeon 9700 is a better card than what Nvidia has out...but you are right, Nvidia will come out with another ccard...I'm saying my next card will be ATI, and my next processor will be AMD...

MY OS is optimized for the AMD, and hell, the 9700 looks awesome...

as for the comment about a single post on a single website...I'm sorry...but I don't rely on just one source...like CGW for example....hehe...ahd to throw that in...

I ask around, and get people's opinions on the hardwaqre...thosse I work with...who are quite computer literate....
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:30 pm

The AMD XP 2100+ is the 1.7ghz chip, supposed to compete with a P4 2.1ghz (hence the 2100 name, as in "we beat up shit alongside the P4 2100mhz"). As for the systems I spoke of, all are RH 7.2, all have the exact same amount of ram, etc. Running the dedicated HL server only and a vastly minimized RH (jesus, I hate RH out of the box, how much shit do they think we want running).

They even have the same nic. When the bandwidth to cpu comparisons come in, even the 1900+ AMD processor can pump in/out approximately 30% more bandwidth (I use bandwidth since it's a good indicator of how much the HL servers are working) before seeing the same cpu load. And these are basically the same load of server mods.

So when it's all said and done, I can show you mrtg stats showing that it takes far more bandwidth (and hence HL dedicated server utilization) to make a lesser clocked AMD processor sweat than it does a higher clocked P4 at that same level of sweat.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:09 am

I guess that's proof enough...

I'm sold [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
I was sold prior...but hey...can't argue with facts can you?

I'm seriously thinking a processor upgrade, and I'm quite sure that'll mean a new mother board...any suggestions on particular mb's? I'm thinking AMD 1900

Or should I go amd 2100?

Just thinking right now...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby Setzer » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:53 pm

OH god use your brain. Linus nativly supports Intel, AMD, and it USED to support Cyrix. Do a fuckign WINDOWS test. Both boxes I tested on were XP Home, which comes on all pre-built systems now, or the majority anyway. Both were clean installs, but my parent's rig used Norton at boot (had to load it I mean), yet it still outdid the AMD. Poor AMD can't hang.

Face it, in a Windows environment AMD blows. If you're using Linux then AMD is the DIFINITE way to go. They can process more data meaning that you can run more apps at once. However in Windows, who is going to start three games of HL or *seph's a fag*? Why would you?? Why use Windows for ANY hosting when you've got Unix/Linux?! It's like using a Pinto to race Jeff Gordon. And no, I don't mean a Pinto with a V12, turbo, intercooler, and nos. I suggest you people take a look at where the REAL tests are performed, PROGRAMMERS. The ratios of AMD to P4 are like 1 to 50. If programmers are using Intel instruction sets for optimizations during compile, then the AMD has to emulate these calls on demand, thus consuming processor. This alone proves mroe than ANY piece of shit benchmark can.
Setzer
I'm too seksy for this board!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:59 pm

Funny how most of the best game rigs discussed around the net are XP based these days. Just agree to disagree and move on, everyone has their own opinions.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:23 pm

Never said a bad thing about XP [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! Just AMD on a non-server platform (such as *doze). However I bet you can't get MW2 or DOS games running in XP. Yes a TON of those are still played due to their addictive nature, unlike most modern games in which once you've beaten it, you've seen it all so toss it into the trash. Hey, look at what's been done with Doom alone! Hell some friends and I are making an OpenGL engine for Duke3D now, and I know that's something the gaming population would die for. Duke online before DNF!
Setzer

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:00 pm

wtf are you talking about? XP, not windows XP and it's lack of legacy dos support... AMD XP processors.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Setzer » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:49 pm

OH lol! When I hear "XP" I think WinXP, not AMD. My bad [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !
Setzer

Previous

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum