Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Thou Shalt See The Light...

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:14 pm

I've been an "ATI guy" ever since I started playing with Linux, mainly
because the drivers were always built into X I guess. Broke down and bought
a GF3 Ti200 128DDR today. Incedible, what a difference. The nVidia drivers
compiled & worked exactly as they said they would, their accelerated
hardware driver (NvAgp) works better than agpgart, *seph's a fag* his freakin' amazing
with it. In a time where ATI can't even get it's Windows drivers down (let
alone write Linux drivers), this card is the cat's meow. Almost makes me
wish I had forked over the dough for a Ti4600 <grin>...

--
Slackware8.0, 2.4.19rc3, A7V333-1400Athlon
RLU #272755

Got that from Loki's *seph's a fag* support board. Direct copy/paste. To ATI, thou canst sucketh my cocketh! Yet another sucessful conversion.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:11 am

2 points:

1: You've always been against ATI...you've always been pro Nvidia...even with linux

2: thought you couldn't get *seph's a fag* to work in linux (OR are you using x-win again?/was it just the DS you couldn't get working?)
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby soft-core » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:35 pm

ATI is bad software.. i wonder why the id software guys were talking about how good g force 3 was and then at e3 used a next gen ati card to show doom 3????? why did they do that ?
soft-core
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:09 pm

ATI is only about 50% OpenGL compliant. Go buy two identical machines and pop a GF4ti5500 in one and a Radeon8500le in the other. Now install (no tweaks, as most players play) *seph's a fag* or RTCW and use OpenGL for rendering (NOT FUCKING D3D!!). Oh what's that you say? You can't see because it's too dark on the ATI? Oh, and you're only getting about half the frames of the other machine? Damn, guess ATI does suck.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:10 pm

GF4ti5500

No such beast.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soft-core » Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:11 pm

i guess no ones knows why they used a next gen ati card instead of g force 4 ?
soft-core
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:06 pm

I read why, just my faulty memory doesn't grant me the pleasure of remembering. It was on hardocp at that time, so it's long since scrolled into the archives.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:30 pm

Yeah I know, I can't recall the badass top of the line GF4 number. Why the fuck did they go to damn numbers?! Anyways I think it may have been 4500, or 4600?? Shit you know the one I am talking about. My point stands, ATI can't compete on the OpenGL level with nVidia. Now on the D3D, I'll put my STB Nitro 4mb PCI card up against the Radeon8500, as long as the machines are at least P3/800 or better. God that would make ATI look SSSOOO pathetic [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby Codon » Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:05 am

so when microsoft starts asking for royalties on opengl patents, who the fuck is going to care...
Codon
noobeh
noobeh

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:49 pm

shadow <richardtoll@hotmail.com> wrote:
> i am using windows xp to play *seph's a fag*. It dont run to smoothly. If i get Red Hat
> linux will *seph's a fag* run faster than in windows xp?? thx

It's got the potential to be far faster [Slackware or Debian, for
example], and I've seen a lot of cases where it is.

Some people [I built a mandrake box the other day] find that linux
performance sucks - but that's because their box isn't set up very
well.

Broadly speaking, unless you have an ATI card, you performance should
be the same or better.

Gary (-;

This guy knows his video cards [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] !
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby soft-core » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:56 am

If thats true why would id show doom3 with a ati card at e3 ??
soft-core
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:42 am

Seb, we're over your head here. Take a few courses on electronics (not fucking programing) and then look at the two chipsets to start with. Then if that does not satisfy you, take a few programing courses (C++) and download both the OpenGL and D3D sources and view them. Note that ATI is D3D friendly and nVidia is more OpenGL friendly. You will also note that OpenGL uses HARDWARE ACCELERATION FOR VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING, and D3D does a check to determine what your card can do, and then runs everything else through the processor, resulting in lower frames and less vital CPU for your games.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sun Aug 11, 2002 2:21 pm

Seph, now you don't have to be a dick...also, take a look at the new ATI Radeon 9700, looks sweet, and has a higher frame rate than the Geforce 4 TI series...but, it's not out yet...

If you haven't figured seph, I'm thinking of going ATI from now on...because Nvidia is starting to act like intel...throwing numbers on products to fool the consumer... it's funny to see the Geforce 4 mx series compaired to the older Geforce 2 ti series, and there isn't much of a difference... just like the pentium 4 2ghz is only as fast as the AMD 1.6ghz... seems these numbers aren't true representations any more...if they ever were true representations... and seph, I'm just talking speed...I know you are an intel/nvidia bitch... But I call them as I see them...if Nvidia is going to slack off, as Intel did... then I'm not going to buy their products anymore...

Seb, do you know which ATI card they used? I didn't pay much attention to E3 this year...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:53 pm

DF, the GF4 MX cards are compared to GF2's cause they use the GF2 core. Nvidia has never hiddent that fact, either. Just an FYI [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:48 am

nVidia (at this point in time) will always beat the fuck out of ATI. Yeah they claim to have a new bad-ass card, but I am confident that nVidia will just make an even better one.

As for the P4 remark, BS. I suggest you sit down at the two systems and see for yourself, I HAVE. My parents own a P4/2ghz and Tammy owns an AMD 1.6, both systems packed with 256mb ram. My parent's system boots twice as fast and they get MUCH higher frames in games (both systems use a GF4ti4200 (the small GF4, but not an mx). Once again you post based on some fuckign IDIOT's post on a website "my P4 is slower than my AMD *snivel*".

One final thing, about your numbers comment. How can you LIKE AMD and DISLIKE nVidia? Both use a numbering system now. AMD went to it first! It's like "I like chocolate from the first fountain, but the second one tastes bad" when they're both hooked to the SAME line. Contradictions, contradictions...
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Next

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum