How do game companies think...

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:29 am

You're the only one I know who has. Plus you had that bad stick of ram in your machine when you last tried Unreal. You NEVER tried Unreal Gold or *seph's a fag*. Oh and just so you know, Rune IS the *seph's a fag* engine, they only added code for the awesome shit, such as the "use" bind and the code to pick up dismembered ligaments. The rest was already in there, including the kick-ass camera cinematics (check out the ending to the *seph's a fag* SP ladder). What I am saying is that you just played *seph's a fag*, only with different weapons and models, and some added code. After all, Rune started out as a *seph's a fag* mod [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! I believe there were some HL mods that wound up being full games as well.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:25 pm

seph I said:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
I seem to have had problems with damn near EVER game that uses the unreal/*seph's a fag* engine...the ONLY game I haven't had problems with is RUNE

I knew that game was on the unreal/*seph's a fag* engine...don't you read? that's right...you do...CGW...apparently you think it's the best mag out there...here's a hint seph... those reviews are based on someone's OPINION...

and DNF...that game was supposed to come out 4 years ago? seems any game that uses the unreal engine takes forever to come out...hell unreal it self was 3 or 4 years late if I am not mistaken...Rune was late, DNF is REALLY freaking late...any others?

And Seph, I know TONNES of people who either hate unreal as a game, or the engine in it's entirety...why do you think when DHTA was TFC, nasty, myself, and a shit load of others DIDN'T want to go to unreal? hell, find someone on this thread who likes unreal... this forum...etc...

I will say, you have managed to get a few newbies out their to think unreal is the shit...but the real gamers...the ones who've been playing for years tend to dislike unreal with a passion...

I'm like that with games that crash my system (pre bad RAM seph...before I EVER got that chip) and prevent themselves from being run again...it's bad programming in my opinion...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:33 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you two talk at your place? Or just on here? [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:22 am

yup...:
"hi"
"Bye"
"you ate my cocoa puffs...YOU BASTARD!!!"
things along those lines...

actually, I don't see him often...either I'm at work, or at a friends...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:46 am

Ditto. And Frost, if that's the case, then everybody who gamed before Unreal has died. If you collect a list of all the game server running (hidden and public), *seph's a fag* is one of the most heavily trafficed games out there. HL has started dropping in the recent months, which is another thing that egged DHTA back to *seph's a fag*. That and the fact that there's no cheating (if they're cheating then they suck at that!), no laggy-ass play due to poor coding and a billion patches, no "buy our shit online" apps, no anti-cheat software to eat up more resources or require you to download a client app, etc etc. Yeah I've seen some stupid shit before, such as an idiot who would export say, the CTF code and fix it so you always have 99999 for all ammo and guns, but that worked on every actor class in the game, so it was balanced, even though it was chaotic and gay. And no offense, but Adam (not Ghoda, but Shrew) has been gaming long before you or I and he loves *seph's a fag*. He loved Unreal due to the awesome SP storyline as well. Once again, if you're having troubles with the Unreal engine I bet money you've got some bad piece of hardware (such as a Compaq system or a Cyrix processor).
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:04 pm

look seph, you lik eunreal...I don't...you knowpoeple who like it, I know alot more that don't...don't go quoting a statistic out of some magazine about unreal and how popular it is...I have more customers/cowokers/friends tell me that they hated unreal (SP and MP) because of various reasons...

system problems (A LARGE variety of hardware configs) and due to patching...HL NEVER crashed my system, unreal DID, while my Ram was good, great processor..etc. it was a PATCH for unreal that did that...

The number one reason people say they didn't like it was it was "boring"...sad to say, these are people I talk to on a daily basis...they ask me about games, and I tell them the games I've played...

Seph...all these people who like unreal...where are they? I only know of you...I haven't seen anyone say they like it...not in person, not in the forums...

and Dave... Our conversations at home are really rather dull...unless Seph goes on his: Linux is GOOD, and I helped program it kick...or the ever popular Win98 is the greatest MSFT operating system ever...

Then I humble him, and put him in his place...

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:15 pm

Seph...

http://www.gamespy.com/stats/

HalfLife shows 21,246 servers online and 81,844 players online as I post this.

*seph's a fag* shows 2,975 servers and 4,784 players online.

Now, unless there are 18,271 "hidden servers" with 77,060 players on them, then the numbers point to the obvious conclusion... HL is smoking *seph's a fag* in terms of people playing. People play what they like, hence one can safely assume that people prefer HL over *seph's a fag* 17 to 1.

And where is Unreal? It doesn't even show up on the list. Hell, even that sorry ass game the Army put out made the list, albeit at only 129 servers and 1,262 players. So Unreal falls under that number, and didn't even make the stats.

I will say this for the Army game, it's server would seem to be more used. HL has 1 server for every 4 players, *seph's a fag* has 1 server for every 2 players, while the Army game has 1 server for every 10 players.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:58 pm

Like I said, youc an turn off server showing with a simple checkbox. This keeps constant probing, pinging, and such from eating bandwidth. People do play what they like, and I see more and more people switching to *seph's a fag* from HL because there's no hacks for it. There is a bot that's supposed to work, but it doesn't, and even so you can add those kick-ass built-in bots to the game anyway. Want them to make every hit count, turn their AI wide open. HL is a cesspool for the most part. It is rampant with cheaters and nobody enjoys fighting against that. It's hard enough trying to fight people like you from 56k or less.

Frost, the people here know enough about a computer to turn it on and then point and click. If they're running a piece of shit early-model Celeron or AMD then they shouldn't bitch about problems with apps. I found out by trying to solve my UTDS problem that MANY apps aren't supported on anythign but x86 architecture. You ran Unreal on 95 with a bad chip. I have had Unreal crash ONCE in my entire life. It was because Nick's P3/500 system didn't have the latest drivers for the shitty-ass Voodoo3/3000 AGP card, an 8mb card. That's the one you had if I am not mistaken, when that bad crash occured. You're mixing 95, a Celeron, and a piss-poor video card and then blaming a graphically and power-intensive application for a crash. Oh wait I left out the stick of RAM I said was bad way back in the day, but you left in until ME (XP?) said it was bad and you removed it. maybe it wasn't bad, maybe it was a different clock speed from your other chips. Whatever the case, faulty ram, low-end video card, early-model cheap processor, and (at the time) two drives, both set to "Master", and you blame an app. Sorry if it pisses you off but I'm sick of hearing bs. My computer has not had a fucking BSOD, lockup, shutdown error, or any other problem you can think of, since I installed 98SE. The original 98 gave me one or two problems and 95 sucked ass. ME isn't compatible with SHIT (remember having to sell your old Live?), and right now XP has some issues (try installing a fucking protocol and it says it can't find hardware, WHAT THE FUCK? IT'S GODDAMNED SOFTWARE!), but I will probably go to Xp as soon as MS fixes the driver/protocol installer. I DO like XP and the functionality it has, but if I can't update a driver or install a protocol aside from TCP/IP, what the hell good is it to me?

And just so you know why XP is so "stable", MS just limited memory access to 16mb blocks, where 98SE can go up to 128mb blocks. This means if you start RTCW and it requests 128mb of ram, it makes eight blocks of 16mb of your ram. This drastically slows memory access and increases page faults. Yeah you won't notice it with PC-133 ram and a P3/800, but try it on a 400 or below. Sorry if that went over anybodies head, but I'm a programmer and I understand it perfectly.

Didn't mean to be a dick but since nobody was listening and/or not thinking, I thought maybe it would get through. Even I have my limits, and knowing so fucking much being a coder, I can say something about an OS and back the shit up. As far as server-count, let's add a hide server option to HL and see how fast the online server count plumitts. Then you could get a better reading. Oh and if Gay-Spy still acts like it did before, it also filtered in un-dedicated HL servers, and as you can see from the *seph's a fag* game browser, there are almost NO un-dedicated *seph's a fag* servers. DLink, move this shit to the flame board if you think it's turned into one. I needed to vent about six months of bs and I feel I did it quite well, although I'm holding back some shit because I don't want to piss off anybody.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:02 am

I wanted IPX installed. That or the NetBIOS for IPX. I can't remember which, but when I tried installing it, it gave me an error about not having hardware, or not finding the hardware. What the heck is that, it's a PROTOCOL, not a PCI card that "creates" IPX packets. I would use IPX on older games here on the LAN for faster gameplay. I'm sure you know that IPX is superior to TCP, except that it can't travel very far, which is why TCP is used online. Let's see an IPX packet make it from here to DLink, lol.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:03 pm

So you expect us to believe that over 18,000 *seph's a fag* server admins decide to hide their servers? How's the weather in your world?
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:05 pm

Also, as for your comment about XP on a 400 or below. Isn't that why they listed the mininum specs well above 400? It's the best MS OS yet, without a doubt. I left the 9x versions long ago and never looked back. I'd rather run x and wine than any 9x windows.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:20 pm

No, minimum for XP are a P2/300, 128mb ram, and something for the drive space. I ran it on a Celeron533 with 192mb pc-133 and it ran like shit until I turned off all kinds of animations and manually set my swap and memory restrictions. After that it pwned aside from the driver/protocol bs.

And yes, I'd use Wine or X-Win if I chose to do all my systems as Linux. I'd need one gaming rig, right? And I still want you to login as root on my box and see if you can find out what's wrong with *seph's a fag* (aside from being the shittiest Linux app I ever saw). I don't trust anybody on the Loki forums enough to give them root on my main Linux box.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:29 pm

Using wine is for running win32 games. I had XP installed on a K6-2 350, default install and it ran perfectly. And only 92mb of ram.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Axiom » Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:54 pm

my dual p3's and gig of ram runs fairly well.

I would just like to pose one question. Exactly what protocols do you need other than tcp/ip or ipx/spx?

Does anyone with netware 4.11 or higher even use ipx/spx anymore? Hell, you dont even have netware. So what protocols do you need?
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soft-core » Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:21 pm

And that is how bandwith is born?
soft-core
I should get out more
I should get out more

PreviousNext

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum