Bragging Rights And 3D Realms...

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:50 pm

Just found out another nice limitation to HL. In HL, you can only use 1024 entities per map. This is half of what Duke 3D (DOS, needed 8mb of ram) could handle. It's like 10000th of what Unreal can handle. Can anybody explain to me why, or did valve just not change it since Quake II or something?

Also, I just compiled my entirely outdoor map with my "*seph's a fag**" utilities, and tested them on my server with players. Frames while doing rocket-combat and having most of the map in view were around 40fps. Pings were normal all around. I've now been elected by several mappers to compile their maps with my programs [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! Only problem is that it took 4-5hrs for mine to compile, and I need my machine for most of the day, lol! Anyways if you guys want to check out some EXTREMELY fun outdoor rocket combat (talk about juggling somebody to the moon!), drop by the server any time.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:12 pm

If HL is so flawed, and sucks so bad, why play it?
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:52 pm

because *seph's a fag* isn't as good as he makes it out to sound...
and don't get me started on unreal itself...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DeSyPhUr » Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:40 pm

yes please dont. we all know how seph gets off about *seph's a fag*. so please dont jack the already hardened opinion of *seph's a fag*.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:14 am

nasty...seph can bitch... he can find topics that don't intrest anyone at all, come in an wake ya up and talk about it for a very long time...if you doubt me... gimme your address...I'll send seph to bother ya...

actually, seph doesn't come into my room and wake me up...I lock my door... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:54 pm

Uhm, I just prefer not to enter the room of a sleeping male being period. Kinda' uneasy feeling, ya' know?

As for *seph's a fag*, it DID suck originally, just like Unreal. I think that's something even Infogrames would agree with (in fact they did in CGW). The thing is, they fixed the living shit out of both games, and with only a handful of patches. HL has seen a ton of patches and still has problems, and I do not take into account the rampant cheating here, since although it could easily be fixed, it isn't a "bug" or "limitation" set forth by the coders at valve. DMC is fun to play, unlike many of the other mods, due to the fact that there are VERY few cheaters in the DMC community thus far. I have seen two, maybe three cheaters, and one server that runs bots of some kind (the ping is always 5ms). I started running a Half-Life TeamDM server originally and within five minutes of getting it started and toying around with it, I had some shitheads in there that were running around with the 9mm killing in one or two shots and never missing. After them, I ran into some guy with a wallhack. So I shutdown and started a TF server. I couldn't host as nice a one as DLink, but I got it up and running with 8 players. Sure enough, shortly after it was up, more cheaters! YAY! This is when I decided to go to DMC. Wow, like, no cheaters! Now I find a mod I enjoy, but it is more limited in many ways than Doom! If it isn't the cheaters, it's valve. They broke the "game_player_equip" entity and haven't fixed it yet. Now to get around this we can use multiple other entities, but since we're limited to 1024, we're ass-raped again!

The points here:
1) I wouldn't mind waiting a while and then getting one MASTER patch to fix all (or most) bugs.

2) If valve has done such a good job converting the engine from Quake II and using their own code, why is it so VERY limited? I mean I could make an engine run better by limiting it, that's common sense.

3) Screw all the cheaters, I wish I could bash your brains in with my delightfuly friendly sledgehammer!
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby Axiom » Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:24 pm

I remember when seph said *seph's a fag* sucked because of this and that.

Yadda yadda.

Why not just play the game instead of worrying about the limitations coded into the engine.

To answer dave's question. The "Then I won't have anything to complain about" excuse comes to mind.
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:50 pm

The server is DMC, Linux dedicatd. You can find it at the IP below. I don't have the map up for download, but it IS cycled. In fact I have two custom maps that use my programs, dmc_hart and dmc_desert. You can download them from the DMC server if you like. Once I finish desert, I will put it on FilePlanet for you to download.

65.80.153.133:27015
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby Codon » Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:59 am

Could u post a link to were to download the map? and your server ip address so that we may all revel in your genious. :X
Codon
noobeh
noobeh

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum