Server Crashing Issue

Forum for asking questions and discussing technical problems related to your OESM hosted server.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Server Crashing Issue

Postby Q » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:35 am

We are experiencing problems with the server crashing and or timing out. Any help?
|30+|Rabidd, Old Farts With Attitude OESM@ Louisville
Q
noobeh
noobeh

Server Crashing Issue

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:52 am

Here's what I see from the crash logs (btw, at 6am CST it will register a crash due to our restarts of all servers at that time):

Apr 4, 2 crashes on canalzon. Both times it crashed with this error

L 04/04/2002 - 21:24:43: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): EDICT_NUM: bad number 9999
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): EDICT_NUM: bad number 9999

I had suggested that you try uploading the maps and the wad again. I never heard back so I assumed it went ok.

Apr 6, 1 crash. No reason in the error log, so it's hard to figure out why. Usually if it just happens once with no error messages, it's just a fluke.

Apr 11, 1 crash. Same as Apr 6.

Now no one else has mentioned timeouts. Who's it happening to? How many people? What times? If you can tell me if it was wide spread or just a person or two and what date/time I'll ask some of the other clans in that datacenter and see if they also experienced it.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server Crashing Issue

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:57 am

Also, you guys don't run logging, so it's very hard to troubleshoot.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server Crashing Issue

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:05 am

Ok, here's what I've found. Your server is doing something that lots do, and is normally non-fatal (I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but it's worth fixing nonetheless). You can refer to this thread on Valve's mailing list - http://list.valvesoftware.com/pipermail/hlds_linux/2002-March/004104.html

What's happening is your server produces a lot of this error:

SZ_GetSpace: Overflow on SVC_Friends

As I said, it's non-fatal just annoying. But our admin software, halfd, has some legacy code from other SZ_GetSpace errors from days gone past. The author gives a quick fix so halfd will ignore it. I'll apply this fix to your server and see if that's not the fault. I'll do it right now.

*EDIT*

Ok, I applied the fix. Also, Valve is removing that error in the next build since it's a useless, trivial error.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Technical Support / Technical Q and A