Hlds_proc Licence

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Hlds_proc Licence

Postby RobGP » Mon May 31, 2004 7:19 pm

Hello,

You are using Hlds_proc as part of your website that by judging from the rest of your website is a commercial organization. We have found that your useage of Hlds_proc is a breach of the EULA which you agreed to when you installed Hlds_proc.

You can find the EULA in the hlds_proc directroy as "licence.txt", please read this.

You appear to have breached the licence in two ways:

Firstly you are using Hlds_proc in a commercial environment without a commercial licence.

Secondly you have made modifications to the web interface which remove copyright notices and hide windows specifing the licence state which is strcitly against the EULA.

The web interface is provided to be as customiseable as possible, the pages are not hardcoded in any way but in return for this freedom we ask that you respect our wishes by keeping certain things a set way such as our copyright notices. If you want to discuss a licence that allows legal removal of these then by all means please contact us and we can come to an agreement.

As it stands now I will assume you simply have not read the EULA and were not aware of these resrictions and have not actively dismissed them. This is irresponsible at best, especially as you are a commercial organization and as such have to be extremely careful with such matters.

You can either reply to me by replying to this post, or (preferred) E-Mail me at rob@shiversoftware.com if you have any questions.

Thanks for your time,
--
Rob Harwood
Shiver Software
RobGP
noobeh
noobeh

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon May 31, 2004 8:13 pm

I'll put the footer back on, that's no problem. But we are in no way a commercial entity. We rent out two servers, period. They run on Linux, in a different datacenter, under a different contract with said datacenter, on which your product does not operate. 100% of what's in our Windows environment is non-profit and free of charge. Read the "About Us" page and you'll find for yourself that all services offered in that environment is 100% free of charge to whomever wants to request it.

Your license states it's free for non-commercial up to 3 users. I have it running non-commercial servers with 1 user. I am well within your EULA.

Beyond this, I would suggest you use my private email address (which can be found on any news post on the main page) to address problems to me personally. I would venture to guess that some public message board wouldn't be considered a falt-tolerant means of conveying such matters.

For commercial use, which includes customer useage in a server hosting organization, an additional commercial license is required to be purchased from the AUTHOR ("COMMERCIAL LICENCE"), using this software in a commercial environment without such a licence is a direct breach of this agreement.

Noone accesses that site besides myself and the occassional temporary user who has requested free services. Once that person's free period is over (usually a week at most), he/she is removed from the list of users.

I have made the changes to comply with your license, and expect those to be the ONLY changes made, as it now 100% complies. Good day sir.
"Proving the human condition, one idiot at a time"
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
"Diplomacy is the act of saying "Nice doggie!" till you can find a rock"
"Department of Redundancy Department"
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RobGP » Mon May 31, 2004 8:24 pm

After re-reading your pages I will take your word for it that you are not using Hlds_proc in a commercial environment. However a little less of the attitude would be nice, considering you were quite clearly violating the EULA regardless, why I am not sure, but that is besides the point.

I have simply asked you to correct the problem and you have, if you think my request was unfair or I offended you in my wording of said request please let me know so I know to be more careful in any future communications.

Regarding your E-Mail address, I did glance around the page for it but it was not obvious to me, I would suggest adding a "Contact" page or similar to your site to make your E-Mail address more obvious, I would not normally have posted in this forum I apologise if you took offence to this.

Regards,
--
Rob Harwood
Shiver Software
RobGP
noobeh
noobeh

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon May 31, 2004 8:27 pm

I simply don't believe that this is the proper medium for such discussions. My email address is very easily obtained via my website's news (my spam filter's box is proof of that).
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RobGP » Mon May 31, 2004 8:48 pm

I believed the email link on the news page was for submitting news only (due to the the automatically entered subject of "Interesting News - <Date>").

These forums were the natural second choice.

Again, I'm sorry if you disagreed with my choice to post here (albeit not my first choice) but it served its purpose.

The bots used to grab E-Mail addresses tend to programatically parse the raw HTML source of web pages, so no matter how hard to find, or illogical the address may have seemed to a human, a bot would quite easily pick it out of an HTML dump, this is however, only one reason of many you may be suffering from spam in your mail box, which although not nice, isn't really relevant here.
--
Rob Harwood
Shiver Software
RobGP
noobeh
noobeh

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon May 31, 2004 9:28 pm

I was hoping this subject was deemed "resolved", but if you click on "What we do" you'll find this at the bottom:

To get started, shoot us an email!

The word email is a link. While not in the most obvious place, I do get emails from that link daily. This is entirely off the original subject of your EULA, which has been satisfied, so from this point I'll assume we're squared away and will forgo this thread. Thanks for your time in pointing out the problems, which were immediately resolved.
Server Pimpage
DLinkOZ`Fbs
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum