How do game companies think...

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:13 pm

They can just repackage the same old gameplay with slightly updated graphics and have a hit on their hands? I'm speaking of *seph's a fag* 2003. Just got it, played it, just like any other FPS game I've ever played. Do they really think people will buy it just cause they put a current date on it?!
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:17 pm

Uh Dlink, I am beta-testing it. It's mroe than the graphics. The warezed version doesn't have several new mods that work properly. I can go into specifics if you'd like. Wait until it hits the stores and then check it out (I'm sure you'll be able to get a warezed version if you don't want to buy it). Dom has been updated as well. Oh and can we say "lower pings"? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:45 pm

What build is it? This was posted today, current build. And it's the same "run around, shoot stuff, maybe grab a flag or something". Honestly, all the games are variations of that. And while we're talking about ping, if you open a dos box and ping a server, you will NOT get a lower ping in-game (unless that server has icmp set really low, even then the box would have to be seeing a SHITLOAD of network activity for the low priority packets to start suffering). If your in-game ping shows lower than your dos ping, the game is covering up and fibbing.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:17 pm

Well the network tests show lower pings than any other multiplayer game right now. I didn't mean it would be lower than what a "ping" would return. Oh and I have seen three different UT2K3 copies out and none are near the build of what the developement version build is at.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:26 pm

Dlink, they could shit in a box, package it up, and lable it *seph's a fag* special editioin, and seph would defend it as if it were God...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby Axiom » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:01 am

I still stand firm in my ridicule of seph for his sudden "turn around" to loving *seph's a fag*.

It wasn't two years ago I mentioned *seph's a fag* and he swore it was the shitties peice of crap because it wasn't Unreal.

Enjoy yet another shitty game from Epic. As for me, I will be playing barbie pet rescue, anxiously awaiting the multiplayer add-on
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soft-core » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:37 pm

omg did you see how the phsyics are omg ! awesome and grahpics ! The game play with this new phsyics should be cool
soft-core
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby soft-core » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:39 pm

They got some new modes to and the engine runs fast on my g force 3.... goody!
soft-core
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:42 pm

Hey, both Unreal AND *seph's a fag* sucked ass on their initial release as far as the AI went. The monsters were supposed to know when to run and dodge and shit. Instead it was more like "Doom 3D" or something. Around 220 the AI sky-rocketed and that's when it got me so into the game that I HAD to play through it. I mean those damn things can look at what weapon you're carrying and decide whether or not to fight you based on that along with your physical appearance (health, armor, etc). On top of that, the enemies know how to strafe and circle-attack, almost as good as real humans. No other game offers that. I mean in Goldeneye and the GC 007 they strafe, but while doing so they do NOTHING else. Actually they look down, step to the side, look up, then resume attacking. Weak, but entertaining.

*seph's a fag* was the same way, but it also had higher requirements. However, unlike HL, *seph's a fag*'s requirements DROPPED through the four or five patches. *seph's a fag* also underwent some MAJOR netcode changes, making it even better on pings than Unreal, and Unreal had the best pings of any multiplayer game around at that time.

One final note, just to say "in your face Valve". The Unreal and Unreal II engines are being used for virtually any new games. The HL engine was used a few times. Q3 was used a few more. Unreal and U2 are being used a LOT. This should say something here, but then again I read about five or six hate-mails from CGW readers to Valve in my latest issue. Oh and I agree with what two of them said. This new "STEAM" tech can kiss my MFing a$$. If I can't get my $hit on CD-ROM or DVD or WHATEVER format is out, I won't buy it. What if I stop playing it for a year or two and then want to re-install, yet the server became outdated and taken down or got hacked and the data was lost? F*ck that. I want my $hit on some kind of media. You don't see id, Infogrames, Epic, or Bethesda (to name a few) trying such bs, do you? Oh and any word on HL2 or TF2? Valve needs to be bought out for the $hit they are, same as Loki was. Loki did a half-assed port of the *seph's a fag* engine to Linux and went out of business. Guess real gamers won't stand for that BS. You have to install at LEAST the X-Win LIBs to make it run, and there is no DS! Just the full install, like in Windoze. Install and set it up right and it segfaults for fun (SIGSEGV)! I'm glad Loki payed for their wrong-doings, now maybe Valve will.

Boy I hate piss-poor programing, can you tell? [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:50 pm

Talking in sheer numbers, I think you'll find the various Lithtech engines get licensed more than the Unreal and *seph's a fag* engines.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:33 am

Seph, it seems to me you have a few issue to work out...like:

IF you hate Valve and HL SOOOOOO much, then why do you run a DMC server?

EVEN after you clan went to *seph's a fag* (3 members... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Seriously, why did only 3 people move to *seph's a fag*? or inflitration, or what ever that game is...

I mean you had 9 or 10 members right?

and Dlink is right, I own more games powered by Lithtech, than I do unreal...and I have to say they are DAMN GOOD GAMES... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:23 pm

Wrong, look at the sources. Lithtech was used up until *seph's a fag* was around. And even then, it was NEVER straight Lith, it was always a mix of Lith and something. In fact, several games used Lith and *seph's a fag* or Lith and Q3. Besides, Lith can't push half the poly count the Unreal engine can, at least not at the same framerate on identical machines.

Oh and Valve may not be worth a shit, but they sure as hell made the Linux server decent. Right now the only reason I am running it is so the box will be doing SOMETHING. As soon as I can get the sources to *seph's a fag* I'll do what Loki failed at: make a damn Linux DS for *seph's a fag* that doesn't segfault if you look at it wrong. I give Valve credit for ONE thing and ONE thing alone. They made a good Linux DS, even if the internal code is still sloppy (ie: poor tracing routines and such). Linux can more than make up for the extra power consumed though.

As for the clan, we left everybody until the three councilmen get the stuff setup. Since DHTA was in *seph's a fag* longer than anything, we have a nice set of guidelines, but I have to upload them, remove the current ones (for DMC), and modify them from TeamDM to suit Infiltration. Once the council has the clan in order and ready to rock, we'll open up to new members as well as emailing our old ones and offering positions. Two of the councilmen left before we switched though. Milagre is too busy with other things and Kad is still learning the ropes, though he's very mature about stuff and never loses his cool. Hey, it's much easier to recruit where the greater population is. Oh and don't go by GaySpy stats, because as anybody who's played *seph's a fag* online knows, *seph's a fag* has an option to hide the server from all the major game apps. I may do that if my server gets popular just to see who'll visit our site to get the IP addy [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ! Remember that one, DLink?

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: [OESM][DHTA]Sephiroth ]</p>
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby DLinkOZ » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:06 pm

You absolutely have NO idea what's spewing out of your mouth Seph. Not only does Lithtech have their own engine, they have several lines, so potential customers can pick and choose which they want (feature sets, price, etc). And as for your time frame, lots of games have been released more recently than *seph's a fag* that use it. Off the top of my head, NOLF and AVP2. A quick list of their engines:

LithTech Jupiter System
Powering the forthcoming sequel to No One Lives Forever, the LithTech Jupiter System is a comprehensive package that arms developers and publishers wanting to "push the envelope" with the cutting-edge technology needed to create visually compelling, high-performance, immersive games.

LithTech Triton System The LithTech Triton System is the visual effects-heavy derivative of LithTech’s leading-edge Jupiter system and the foundation for TRON® 2.0. Triton expands Jupiter’s current functionality to include features like a third person camera perspective and a vehicle physics system used to create the exciting Light Cycle races in TRON® 2.0.

LithTech Talon System
The LithTech Talon System, which is the technology behind the highly acclaimed Alien Vs. Predator 2, allows developers with accelerated schedules and modest budgets to harness the power of an optimized proven platform.

LithTech Cobalt System
As the foundation for No One Lives Forever for the Sony PlayStation® 2, Cobalt enables developers to create spectacular games fully optimized for this popular console's power and specific capabilities.

LithTech Discovery System
The LithTech Discovery System is the premier solution for creating rich and powerful massively multiplayer games and moderately populated on-line applications. Discovery is the dynamic force behind the soon-to-be announced massively multiplayer game currently in development at Monolith Productions.

And I believe Talon is the most widely used. You're arguing based on what you believe, not on fact.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:51 pm

Wrong, the games I'm basing my opinion on are featured in CGW, and half haven't been released yet due to their complex nature. Hell, look at DNF. It is scheduled for release sometime next year I think, though. Also, there are very few Lithtech engine games that are solely that. I have seen Lith+Unreal, Lith+Q3, Lith+HL, etc etc. I'll dig up a couple of my CGW's and scan the pages to prove it the next time I visit my parents. I don't have a scanner, and don't need one.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:59 pm

damn Dlink...the only thing you didn't say was:
"I YO FACE HO!!!"

LOL...
I actually enjoy the lithtech engine... I haven't had any problems with it seph...I seem to have had problems with damn near EVER game that uses the unreal/*seph's a fag* engine...the ONLY game I haven't had problems with is RUNE...cool game...but the lithtech games are simply much more fun in my opinion...AVP2 kicked ASS... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well...later
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Next

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum