Networking Problem via XP...

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:58 pm

OK, I restored a box I got for free and slapped XP on it for the stability and such. Oddly, my ethernet card won't work. I think the card's bad and pull it out. Now Frost allowed me to try a direct cable connection using my 6ft null-modem cable. I plug it in and set the shit up and have both machines use the same protocols, and made sure our settings were all auto with no specific stuff (Frost's was that way). Now I can connect using IPX/SPX, but NOT TCP/IP, which is what I need. I told the connections on both machines to use just these protocols:

TCP/IP
Client For MS Networks
QoS packet Scheduler (Can't turn this shit off)
File/Printer Sharing For MS Networks

Now it will connect and verify my name and pass, but then it will disconnect giving me a PPP error (733, can't negotiate a compatible set of protocols). What the fuck is that shit? Now I think my NIC is good and XP isn't doing something right. Any ideas Dlink? This is about to piss me beyond belief, especially if I need to format and go to 98SE just to make my shit work.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:40 pm

It's obviously user error...anyone who thinks win98 is the shit has problems...

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Serious...the system you put together might not be right...I have NONE of these problems...my system is running better now than when I had win98SE (a very shitty OS in my opinion), and ME (which ran very stable for me)
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:02 am

Tell that to the MS techs who worked with me for over an hour and ifnally said it sounds like XP has a few bugs left in the system.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:04 am

Oh forgot to do my "told you so" for 98se. I remember when I visited you when you lived with your sister and I found out you had two drives set to "Master", that the errors seemed like a bad memory chip error. It wasn't until you got ME and it detected the defective chip that you stopped having errors, so in defense of 98se, 98, and *shudder* 95, you should technically try them all with your new GOOD equipment. You will be quite amazed at the stability and performance differences.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby Mr.Magoo » Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:07 am

I had a similar problem.

XP has a few problems with multiple proxies.

All I did was put in all the ips manually.
Mr.Magoo

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:45 am

actually, one of my major errors at that time seph was very poor engineering on the behalf of the Tower manufacurers...

I put the system together and didn't even realize the PC speaker was mounted directly below the HDD bays...

and as for the bad Chip... Win98SE TRIED to use it...which is shitty, and I had problems prior to even having that chip...my old ram is STILL good...my parents are using it... [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

so Win98SE sucks donkey balls in my opinion...

Hell, you said it yourself...ME pin pointed the problem in NO time... and NOBODY likes WinME (I did, until I went XP...don't hate me guys...WinME ran very stable for me)

I still say your problems are user error...

Hey Dave, get this...
Seph was bitching last night about XP, so he installed Linux (Red Hat if I'm not mistaken) then bitched about it's Win emulator...?gnome?...so he REINSTALLED XP...

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:23 pm

I installed Linux to test that NIC. It worked. I bitched about not liking the GNOME environment. Then again, I use LINUX and not some gay GUI that basically only adds point-and-click capabilities to the shell, kind of like Win3.11 did for DOS. Oh that and it adds high resolution modes for graphical shit. I was NOT running a Windoze emulator though. Why emulate a lesser OS?

Magoo:
I tried that and it took longer to connect but it still spewed errors. I think Xp just has some minor bugs left over from combining the ease of use of 98/ME with the power and stability of 2K. God did I just say that? I need to go hug my Linux boxes...
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum