hey DLink

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Sun May 19, 2002 8:44 pm

What is RSVPSP.dll? Is it important or is it whats stopping me from redownloading paintshop pro? And if thats not whats stopping me from redownloading it, what is?
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

hey DLink

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun May 19, 2002 9:46 pm

Not sure what that is, but MS has it nailed as a dll that's problematic with regards to cpu utilization.

As for not being able to reinstall psp (I'm assuming you want to rerun a free trial??), that sort of info is generally stored in your registry.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Sun May 19, 2002 11:20 pm

heres another one for ya, what is a dll? dont forget im a noob computer user
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

hey DLink

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon May 20, 2002 1:40 am

You asked for it, so here it comes:

Dynamically Linked Library

<library> (DLL) A library which is linked to application programs when they are loaded or run rather than as the final phase of compilation. This means that the same block of library code can be shared between several tasks rather than each task containing copies of the routines it uses. The executable is compiled with a library of "stubs" which allow link errors to be detected at compile-time. Then, at run time, either the system loader or the task's entry code must arrange for library calls to be patched with the addresses of the real shared library routines, possibly via a jump table.

The alternative is to make library calls part of the operating system kernel and enter them via some kind of trap instruction. This is generally less efficient than an ordinary subroutine call.

It is important to ensure that the version of a dynamically linked library is compatible with what the executable expects.

Examples of operating systems using dynamic linking are SunOS (.so - shared object files), Microsoft Windows (.dll) and RISC OS on the Acorn Archimedes (relocatable modules).
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Tue May 21, 2002 2:29 am

mmmmK, so I get all that EXCEPT one thing... THE FUCKING KERNEL!!! My computer still has OE exceptions occur due to the KERNEL!!!!!!!! SCREW HIM!! no for real, what is the Kernel.. and more specifically why does Kernel32 cause my explorer to crash as well? (oh I know my computer sucks, but Im asking for help to figure this machine out)
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

hey DLink

Postby Mr.Magoo » Tue May 21, 2002 6:34 am

If it is Win98, use the System File Checker and replace kernel32.dll. If that still fails reinstall the OS.
Mr.Magoo

hey DLink

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu May 23, 2002 1:34 am

Which one? Win2k or WinME?
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Thu May 23, 2002 12:25 pm

well its gay win2000 ME so can I still do the same.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

hey DLink

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Thu May 23, 2002 3:35 pm

try system file checker dude...couldn't hurt...
I think ME still had SFC, but not sure..
go to start/run
type sfc
hit ok...and if it has SFC on the kernel, then it will check all your .dll's as well as some other files...if you are missing a .dll or edited a .dll this will restore them.. but if I"m not mistaken...you can't edit/change/delete .dll's in ME... as they are protected files...additional files are usually added...again, if I'm not mistaken...

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- ]</p>
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Thu May 23, 2002 9:07 pm

well i dont have system file checker. I looked and did exactly what you said and even searched for it. To no avail. But now that S32STAT.dll is missing BIGTIME and is causing problems else where besides HalfLife. Like it wont let me open Nortons now because its missing.... Odd. Man I need help.LOL
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

hey DLink

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Thu May 23, 2002 9:40 pm

s32stat.dll is a norton file...so norton won't run with that fil;e missing...
did you go on a cleaning binge? did you just start deleting files to clear space?

As for the kernel exceptions...I simply recommend that you reformat...it's the easiest solution...but that's only IF you know what you are doing...get a copy of Win2k, XP, or hell...even 98...IF you feel really bold...go for linux..lol

back up any files you want to keep...your favorite folder, etc... but that only if you feel comfortable reformating...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

hey DLink

Postby Axiom » Thu May 23, 2002 10:42 pm

System File Checker should be known as System File Fucker.

Imagine if you will, you have installed an application that needed say mfc40.dll and installs an mfc40.dll of its own with application specific code in it along with the original stuff that comes in mfc40.dll. Now you run SFC and repair that dll to the original and not to the application specific one. Congrats, your app no long works.

How do I know this happens? When I worked for a local technical college, I installed Paint Shop Pro on her computer. Later, she ran SFC because another tech told her to do so to fix another application. Once she did, psp never worked until I copied the file from the psp install disk to her hard drive and over-wrote the mfc40.dll currently on the disk.
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Fri May 24, 2002 12:01 am

my bad, winME. But here is something I did find which might help. I found the application RUNDLL32 in my windows folder so I decided to try and run nortons on it and it told me this:

Missing DLL, S32STAT.DLL was not found.

and then it froze my screen. Is there any way I can get that dll im missing? I read the other day on the Penny Arcade site that some guy messed with his Kernels to fix his computer, so think its possible I just dont know how.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

hey DLink

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri May 24, 2002 9:56 am

true nasty, but which would you prefer? A working program, but an OS not running properly because you inadvertantly installed another piece of software with an older .dll then what came with your operating system? or an operating system that's repaired and a single file needs to be replaced?

I would venture to say that you would choose that latter...but that is ofcourse taking the role of the computer novice...someone who's been around computers for a while might realize which file is causeing the problem...

ALSO SFC doesn't overwrite files WITHOUT prompting you..IF you know you've updated a .dll AND you know that it's not the cause you can choose to keep that one...you don't necessarily have to over write every file... but again.. you have to know your computer...not many do...

IMHO I think SFC fixes more than it screws up...

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- ]</p>
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

hey DLink

Postby DeSyPhUr » Tue May 28, 2002 4:00 pm

well here is where the bend in the road becomes a cliff into a bottomless pit.... Im on an E machine (I know, get a new computer) and I have to reformat through their start up disk....which I dont have anymore... so Ill just deal with it. And yes it was a cleaning binge accident.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Next

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum