For anyone looking for a dedicated firewall

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri May 17, 2002 5:35 pm

If you've got a spare box and you'd like to setup a dedicated firewall (not just that personal firewall crap), check out www.smoothwall.org

I've got it setup and running perfectly, with no hassles. The entire ISO is 23mb and includes a linux distro and all the related smoothwall files. All management is via a web browser, you never have a need to even look at the linux console if you don't want to. Updates are done by uploading the update file via the web interface, then it decompresses and installs it with no further interaction.

I had a complete name brand Linux installation going on this box (which weighed in at over 1.5gb mind you, versus smoothwall's 23mb for everything), iptables setup with proper rules, everything. But this is so much easier and convenient that I switched to it. Logging, VPN support (to connect your secure lan to a friend's secure lan via a secure tunnel... more on that as a few of us put it to the test this weekend), dmz support, etc. Highly recommended.

*edit*
Almost forgot, there's a free GNU licensed version, which is what I'm using.

Here's the system stats on it:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda4 4.7G 52M 4.4G 1% /

It's using a whopping 52mb of disk space...

Mem: 257772 28968 228804

Uh oh, it's a memory hog at 29mb of ram in use for the entire system and all applications running...

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: DLinkOZ ]</p>
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Axiom » Sat May 18, 2002 1:11 am

yeah. as soon as I find that damn power supply I had laying around, I will throw the two nics in it and roll it out. Then we can test the vpn yay!
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum