Question

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Question

Postby DeSyPhUr » Fri Feb 15, 2002 4:05 am

Wtf do I need to DL or buy to watch freakin AVI movies? Quicktime "says" it can play AVI movies but when i try to watch, say, the counter-strike movie it tells me :

You may experience problems playing a video track in "cs_movie_avi" because the required compressor could not be found.

Well WTF. I DL quicktime to see that movie yet it doesnt have the requirements to compress, compress what, I might like to add. I went to the apple quicktime site and they say you can watch AVI movies with quicktime 5 so what is my problem. I wanna see this and a few other AVI movies already.

If there is another movie player that anyone knows of that plays AVI movies "compressed???" let me know.

thx-DeSy
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Question

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:25 am

I presume you are trying to watch a demo "movie" recorded in CS... I believe the best way to to watch it via the HL engine and the CS mod. try the command: play cs_guard_avi

That is unless it was converted from the original formet (which I believe is the case... demo's arent' recorded in the .avi format, are they?

That is making on huge assumption...that it is a demo recorded in CS...

Now if it's a plan .avi file, windows media player fully supports the .avi file...I don't know why you are even trying quicktime...the only thing I use quicktime for is the .mov files...

hope this helps... and IF my assuptions about the movie were correct, I might be mistaken about the command to play the movie...
Dave...any input?
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Question

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:23 am

Guess what, Quicktime sucks donkey d*ck. Uninstall it as quickly as you can, as Windoze media player in 98se and up support .mov, and can play any compressed format avi (even divx, if I am not mistaken). If for some reason you're using a Mac or wanna' get it on with Apple products, manually open your AVI in media player and enjoy.

BTW Frost, AVI stands for "Audio-Video-Interleaved". HL can't record to that. It records demos in something like .dem or .dmo format if I remember correctly. If it has the .avi extension, you'll need a movie player of some kind, or media player.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Question

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:31 am

Halflife can now record directly to the .avi format.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question

Postby DeSyPhUr » Fri Feb 15, 2002 3:02 pm

thx alot for those who helped. And no its not a demo movie its a cg movie.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Question

Postby RackDaddy » Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:48 pm

RackDaddy
Spammer
Spammer

Question

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:12 pm

Wow, way to waste time valve! Rather than work on a FINAL patch, you code something in that can record videos in a bloated format, which either requires a special codec or doesn't work half-a$$ed. Bet it's in a low resolution too! I have a few movies in real format at 350kbps surround, 640x480 which run smooth and clean as ever, and are only 61-80mb! If you're gonna' code a dang movie recorder, use a DECENT format.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Question

Postby DLinkOZ » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:24 pm

Final patch? HalfLife won't see that for quite some time to come now.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:44 pm

Seph, maybe I know what I'm talkin' about... gimme some credit...but in reality, I didn't think the HL engine recorded in .avi format..I was thinking along the lines that someone converted it...(why?!?)

And Desy, you said "AVI" and "Counter Strike" dood, CS is a mod for HL... and thus everything regarding the movie playbacks, and formats for HL should be the same for CS... I'm talking general commands here, like rate, netgrapgh 3, and record...not CS specific commands...

but that was with regards to a recorded demo... IF it's not a demo, then wft is it?
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Question

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:02 am

I don't think HL will have a final patch. I have noticed since reinstalling HL that after playing for an hour or two, i have virtually NO resources left! Can we say, "Serious memory leak due to inexperiecne"? "Valve"! Good boy.

Frost, I didn't think valve would do something stupid like that. Plus I don't record demos and don't bother with learning the new stuff pertaining to them. I would only record one to display a cheater to get his butt banned from WON.
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Question

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:10 am

I experience no mem leaks with HL whatsoever. Wait, I know why you experience the mem leaks. Wasn't it the 386 architecture that introduced modern memory management? Dude, your 286 ain't hackin it any longer.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question

Postby t1mk1ll » Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:54 am

download a DivX player
t1mk1ll
Spammer
Spammer

Question

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:36 am

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Frost, I didn't think valve would do something stupid like that. Plus I don't record demos and don't bother with learning the new stuff pertaining to them. I would only record one to display a cheater to get his butt banned from WON.

MY point is that you assumed I didn't know what I was talking about, and now you admit you didn't know what I was talking about...

Irony... gotta love it...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Question

Postby Axiom » Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:15 pm

oddly enough, the only time I have ever had a resource problem with HL or any other game for that matter, was with Win98se
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:37 am

Traced the proble with Borland's debugger. It IS a HL leak and it DOES happen on ANY platform. I just can't cram more than 256mb into this thing and it affects me before others with like, 512mb or more.

Frost, I never assumed anything. There is no irony. I just said that you can't play an AVI in HL, which you CAN'T. Prove that wrong. You need a media player that supports AVI format. Oh and DivX is gay, super-uncompressed and totally inferior to several other formats of AVI (this is not directed at anybody). Yet another "smooth move" by valve. Shit you have to download DivX to use the damn codec, so WHY did valve choose it? Indeo is just as good and slightly tighter, plus it comes with windoze, so why use something crappier users need to download?! I wouldn't work at valve if they offered me $50,000 a day. I couldn't live with the reputation of such poor planning and programing skills.

Oh also, just to show off (in your face valve), I have written a new vis program of my own, based on the Unreal Engine code. Basically, it breaks every single polygon on every object itno a three-vertex triangle, unless it is already three-vertex. Yeah this is part of the bsp generator's job, but screw it! It then of course does the visualization process of processing the oct-tree and making a portals-tree with leafs to optimize frames. I compiled an entirely outdoor map with my program today, and though it took a while, in a 4096x4096 outdoor arena with rolling desert hills and NOTHING blocking the view, my frames won't drop below 40fps (=. Go Infogrames!
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Next

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum