New York Times takes a few swings at Day of Defeat Half-life

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Postby t1mk1ll » Sun Jan 06, 2002 3:19 pm

geez can't those liberals get it through their heads no one cares if they are "offended"?
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/03/technology/circuits/03NAZI.html
t1mk1ll
Spammer
Spammer

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sun Jan 06, 2002 5:46 pm

Simply an article by someone who's never used a mouse to frag. Someone who wants to make a big deal out of something that is simply unimportant...And of course, everyone who will take up arms in the "cause" are people who don't understand the whole story...who are sheep lead around by what ever someone who might be important says.

Each person who reads that article only gets one side of the story, an extremely biased side. Many readers simply will never get to hear the other side...the side of the gamer...because they will never be gamers. I hate the media, because they know they influence people's opinions they way THEY want...for good or bad.

more bad than good I say...

So up in arms against the racist programmers, the uncaring gamer, against the innocent and the right to free speech...

phuleeeese...

Good clean fun is no more...we are ALL guilty and should be burned at the stakes for playing PRO neo-nazi games...I remember when DOOM was a big deal, where the programmers and players were SATAN WORSHIPERS...I play DOOM, and I have yet to sacrifice my first virgin...I don't think playing "Return to castle Wolfenstien" will result in my going around commiting hate crimes, and spreading anti-Semitism statements...

Who think's I'm wrong?

well I gtg...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby t1mk1ll » Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:22 am

If you ask me the people who criticize are the people who are most biggoted and full of hate and anger. I don't go around looking at what they do and bash it, but they go out of their way to look for something to bitch about! Prejudice is prejudice whether it's against a black, a jew, a gay, a geek, or a gamer [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
t1mk1ll
Spammer
Spammer

Postby DeSyPhUr » Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:07 am

Damn Flame... Is that a tear in my eye... yes, yes it is.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby t1mk1ll » Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:18 am

lol...well you know, next I was gonna have us all hold hands and sing kumbayah...hehe
t1mk1ll
Spammer
Spammer

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:35 am

Seph man, there's a difference between saying the graphics in a game sucks, and saying it promotes Neo-Nazi propaganda...I give a rats ass if someone says a game sucks due to graphics, Bot AI, and how controls suck...I do care (just a little) if people start getting the idea that I'm a hate monger and a Satanist for playing a few games.

It's insulting to the gamer to see IN PRINT (written or implied) that these games are ways to brainwash people into being PRO Neo-Nazi, and Pro Satan...This arguement is as pointless as saying that video games are the cause of violence in our schools...

And don't say you are indifferent to what these people are saying...because IF you ignore this, if you don't voice your opinion, here or somewhere else, then you are simply laying down, allowing these people to do what they want. They don't want you to have the freedom to choose what you play, they don't want you to be able to have fun, they don't want you to be able to voice your opinion...

I ask, who's really the people promoting Nazi ideals? The gamers who simply want to have fun, or the people who want to take your freedom of choice and speech away from you forever? I thought this is a democracy, where everyone makes their own decisions...these people only want you to have these freedoms when it best suits them...

Why have I said this? because it's the same arguement that ignorant bastards have tried before...playing doom causses our kids to kill one another...only this article was more subtle in it's statements...people are going to TRY to stop these games from being sold...I'm tired of people telling me what is and isn't acceptable...
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby DeSyPhUr » Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:16 am

Deckon, you couldnt be anymore dead on than that. I totally agree and also would like to add something. Doom was supposedly the game in which the troubled trench coat lads in Colorado played to improve their aiming skills.....if anyone has played doom knows that the aiming in that game blows compared to say HL, CS or even goldeneye 007. So how in the hell did the people even come up with that shit? Dooms aiming is on one horizontal line, gun always mid screen. No up or down axis... how is that gonna improve anyones aiming ability. As a marine that has fired many actual weapons and have hands on exp. with M16's M4's and damn Para's for god sakes would like to say that doom helped me about 0%. Counterstrike hasnt even helped me one bit in aiming, maybe a little in tacticalness and sleuth. Anyways the point is, that game didnt help them aim better or want to kill anyone in their school. The kids at school who like to tease are the reason and the only other people to blame would be the parents. Not the damn game. Playing games that let me murder others dont incurage me to kill in real life but they do release alotta real life tension.
I hate this BS blame it on everything but what it really is.
DeSyPhUr
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:56 pm

You shoulda' seen what they put up about Unreal Tourney a while back! Man people from NY just don't game! I wrote several e-hate-mails to them when they insulted the game (*seph's a fag*) saying shit about how the graphics sucked (man, they must be comparing it to some kick-ass DVD movie), how the AI on the bots was WAY too high for a human to touch (uh, I can ALMOST take them on in the toughest skill), and about how the controls suck (guess they never even configured the damn thing). People who were over 30 when Wolf3D and Doom came around are all game-haters as far as I am concerned. They have to prove me otherwise, such as my parents (whom I now have hooked on damn near everything I play), my best-friend's dad (same), and even my grandfather.

It is this simple:
We like bloody, gory, realistic games, and the more detail and time programmers and game designers put into their games, the more shit the media will sling at them. Thank God for CGW! And that reminds me, I have to go get the gorgeous Unreal II poster out of my latest issue and hang over my bed (=. Anybody know where I can get a pet Skaarj? The clan it's from doesn't matter.

-Seph

P.S.: HEY OUR IP'S ARE THE SAME! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:36 pm

Sorry, but Doom (Heretic, Hexen, Strife) has mouse-aiming. I use it, and though it is VERY unsensitive (about half the vertical sensitivity as the horizontal), you could aim with it. Still, if they're using Doom to practice aiming they're f*cked. I mean, moving a mouse is one thing, while drawing a bead on somebody is totally different. I've hunted with a wide variety caliber rifle and shotgun, and I know for a FACT that no computer game sharpened my skills hunting. I did that myself through missed shots and repeated excursions. Anybody who blames a f*cking game, on any platform, for anything other than being a form of entertainment, is utterly stupid. With my experience working with the public, I can tell you that most people have IQs WELL under the average, and that if one person does something, anybody who sees it will do as well. One dumbass just said "Oh that game made my son shoot his little brother!" and the sheep just followed in suit and started screaming at the game manufacturer. F*ck the media on games, minus the few media publishers directed at gaming (ie: CGW, PC World, etc). Uh, I do include "LamePro" in this comment though [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:59 pm

I once heard the AVERAGE intellegnce of the American population was an I.Q. of 90 (hint...that's not very high)...keep in mind...HALF the population is lower than that...

mind numbing though...eh?
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Postby t1mk1ll » Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:26 am

I'm not surprised at that statistic. If you have ever worked in any job that deals in public relations you would not find it hard to agree that most people are ignorant bafoons. In fact, I refuse to ever work in sales anymore because the stupidty of the average american consumer is enough to drive any mildy intelligent person with even a minor intellect to the brink of a nervous breakdown. And if that is not enough to make you lose a few marbles then the idiocy of your pathetic co-workers will be enough to finish you off.
t1mk1ll
Spammer
Spammer

Postby DeSyPhUr » Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:33 pm

Dood, when I played doom the other day for fun....it wouldnt let me use the mouse to aim!! I change the mouse options too and still, no mouse aim. Oh well I shouldnt play doom at work anyways.
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Postby Axiom » Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:10 pm

this is all I am going to say.

to the IQ thing.

Think about the last time you had fast food.

Think about the guy who took your order.

Think about the person who made your burger and fried your fries.

Realize, that if that person didnt have a machine to tell him how to do everything, he would be completly lost. If they didnt have anyway of calculating the change they owed you, or how much you owed them, they would be in the dark.

IQ. It's not a measure of intelligence. Especially since the test should never be administered to anyone over the age of 10.

It's common sense that is the culprit. People have lost it. Machines now tell them how to do their job. Or at the least, allow them to do it effectively. If it weren't for machines, noone would know how to do their job. Well, except for the 50 year old guy who still remembers how to do math in his head or on a peice of paper.
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum