Help!

Postby DeSyPhUr » Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:31 pm

try going into bios on start up and looking in there... i could be wrong though
DeSyPhUr
I should get out more
I should get out more

Help!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:06 am

It offers your choice, it can run on either.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sat Dec 29, 2001 3:32 am

Shit Dlink, XP offers you the choice for both file systems...NTFS, and fat32...

Trommy, why are you trying NTFS? how large is your HDD? I do know that IF your HDD is a certain size, then the fat32 option is removed...I think it's either 40 or 60 gig...I could be mistaken...

As for XP, the only problem I have now is that I had to downgrade my Nvidia drivers when I installed it, other than that, I've had no problems...I do like the compatibility mode...

Don't get me wrong...I still think Microsoft is the anti-christ, but seeing they gave me my past 3 operating systems for free, as well as my office prog's, and various others...I don't HATE them as much...

Dave...you have any info on the new Linwin? sounds very interesting for us none linux users (up till now that is)
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Help!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:46 am

If you mean lindows, MS is suing them cause of their name...
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:42 pm

Shitcan that POS XP and stick with Win2k.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:05 pm

Linux newbies need the GUI!@# Give me slackware and a shell prompt and I can do just as much as the GUI stuff. Although I will admit, the XWin version of Nutscrape doesn't suck like it does in Windoze! Besides, with task-switching and all from the shell, the ONLY thing a Linux GUI has on shell is a pretty interface (that and ease of use to non-linux guys).
As for XP, I am waiting to see how it does. The way i see it is this:
XP requires like a 300 or 350mhz machine with 128mb ram minimum.
Linux (with or without Xwin) can run quite efficiently on a 486SX with like 8 or 16mb of ram
XP was NOT designed worth a F*CK as far as resources go. As far as stability, it seems to be stable though. Of course, MS achieved this stability by limiting the memory access programs have. Less access in Windoze must equal less chance of a crash. Wonder how much more they'll limit it in their next Win platform? I'll stick to 2K, 98SE and/or Linux (Slackware/RedHat) for now...
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Help!

Postby [OESM]Sephiroth » Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:08 pm

Oh I forgot another comparison for XP. I successfully ran 98SE on my 486SX for quite some time, but it did eat almost all the drive space just installing! Still, all other OS's seem to have less than half the processor/ram requirements than XP, and it is driving me through the f*cking walls trying to figure out how a damned OS can require SO MUCH hardware just to run! Somebody get the the XP source, I'm going to write a hack that allows it to run on a 286/12 with 3mb of ram!!
[OESM]Sephiroth
I'd rather be posting!
I'd rather be posting!

Help!

Postby [OESM]DeckonFrost-AS- » Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:24 am

I'm sure MS is more than just pissed at the name.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] guess they had to find something to bring lindows to court...

I swear I thought it was linwin..but hey..you're the linux guru here...least between the 2 of us...hehehe
[OESM]DeckonFrost-AS-

Help!

Postby DLinkOZ » Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:29 am

http://www.lindows.com

Is that what you're talking about?
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum