Hosting Services

Forum provided for public use.

Moderators: FeLiX, Mr.Magoo

Hosting Services

Postby almandareo » Thu Oct 25, 2001 5:43 pm

Do you guys answer your email?
I sent you a letter three days ago asking how do I get on the waiting list and no response.

Are you guys stocked up for the winter or what? [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
almandareo
noobeh
noobeh

Hosting Services

Postby DLinkOZ » Thu Oct 25, 2001 7:28 pm

Since I took down the sign-up link, the email's been piling up. For about 2 weeks we won't be taking new signups. Once we get our new batch of servers online, and get everything filled up with the clans already on our list, we'll see if we've got any spots open. At that time we'll take in enough apps to fill those open spots. Sorry for the inconvenience.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hosting Services

Postby almandareo » Fri Oct 26, 2001 2:36 am

Ok
almandareo
noobeh
noobeh

Hosting Services

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Oct 27, 2001 2:09 pm

Our customers run their servers however they want. Public, private, we don't care. It's all up to them.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hosting Services

Postby almandareo » Sat Oct 27, 2001 8:09 pm

Damn. You guys have gotta get some loans or something. Because you gotta expand man.

I know its your business model but this wait is a killer for business you know. [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
almandareo
noobeh
noobeh

Hosting Services

Postby DLinkOZ » Sat Oct 27, 2001 9:45 pm

Hehe, our entire peace of mind (remember, this is a company built around a 3 year old game, who knows when it'll end) is that we've got no loans, and our only monthly payments are for bandwidth. We don't rent or lease our boxes, we work other deals, or purchase them outright. So yeah, expansion is tough.

We started in January with 3 customers in one location. We now have 29 servers (8 more coming within a week or so) in 4 locations (the next 8 will make 5 locations), so we're expanding as much as we can.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hosting Services

Postby almandareo » Sat Oct 27, 2001 10:08 pm

If HL dies tomorrow you wont die because you will still have the bandwidth and boxes.
Just pluck down 40 bucks and get the new hot game and download server files and you are back in business like never before.

And you can also gauge which game is getting hot by checking gamespy etc and see the type of servers that are being put up and also by word of mouth.

I know you guys want to be fiscally responsible and all and make sure that your business doesnt over budget itself, so I understand where you are coming from.
But I still think there must be a better way.
You dont benefit from turning people away.
What you have is here an now.
The most important thing in business is DEMAND and even though the services you offer are not "milk and bread" and Half Life specific demand may disappear, other game specific demand will replace it because people are not going to stop playing games just because Half Life starts to get boring.
They will play other games.
almandareo
noobeh
noobeh

Hosting Services

Postby almandareo » Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:03 am

Do you host only private password protected servers?
almandareo
noobeh
noobeh

Hosting Services

Postby Axiom » Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> If HL dies tomorrow you wont die because you will still have the bandwidth and boxes.
Just pluck down 40 bucks and get the new hot game and download server files and you are back in business like never before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People have to want to play this "new game". If people are not playing the game, and they don't want to rent a server for it, then we are not in business.

There is a reason we do things the way we do them. Mainly, because it works.

Server hosting companies come and go.

We won't go out of business because a game becomes unpopular. We will go out of business because people decide that they don't want our servers anymore.

As for the wait being "killer" to our business, I don't think we got into this to make mad cash. We got into it to provide a service for a few clans. Before we knew it, we had almost 29 server instances under our control.

Considering HL Mods losing their popularity, I would say for such a "bad" business model we are doing astonishingly well.
Axiom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hosting Services

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:20 am

Would you want a host who just got into this new game, and probably didn't have any idea how to run a server for it? We wouldn't want to be in the reverse of that situation, either. Not that we wouldn't mind a bit of a more stable release of the HL server... *glares at Valve*
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hosting Services

Postby almandareo » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:17 pm

I didnt mean to be that critical (long day at work).
You guys know what you are doing so I will lay off.
Keep up the good work.

-Later [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
almandareo
noobeh
noobeh

Hosting Services

Postby DLinkOZ » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:38 pm

Wasn't taken as critical.
DLinkOZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FO.Net's Public Forum